TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low back pain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:19 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Low back pain Reply with quote

Doc,

I get a sharp pain in my lower back left side after about 40 to 60 min. of riding. My right leg is about 1/2" shorter than my left leg. I'm thinking about trying some type of spacer between my shoe and cleat to even out my legs. Is there a prefered method for this and should I consider a insert in my normal shoes?

Thanks, Tim
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:23 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted:

You have three options.

1. Getting a foot orthotic that is 1/2 inch thick would make your right shoe unwearble (too tight) unless you bought a wider and longer pair of bike shoes knowing you would only be using the right one. You would then need a different pair for the left side. You could also consider a custom set of bike shoes that would have the right sole built up 1/2 inch thicker. Either way with the shoe option it will be expensive.

2. Shims alone may not be sufficient. It may well be difficult to achieve a 1/2 inch correction with shims and still have funtioning clipless pedals.

3. Get a shorter crank arm on your right side. This will be an expensive option (much like the two sets of shoes or custom shoes) but may well be the better way to go. You will still likely need to use some shims to make up the differences in the crank arms lengths. Crank arms are sold in milimeter lengths. 175 means 175 mm long. To get a 1/2 inch correction you will need a crank arm that is 12.5 mm shorter on the right such as a 165 mm on the right and 177.5 on the left. Unfortunately there are no off the shelf 177.5 crank arms readily available. So the most practicle option would be to go with a 165 on the left and a 175 on the right then shim your right shoe with 2.5mm thickness of shims. Start off with shims that place the cleat flat without any cant. If you note that you tend to wear out the soles of your shoes down more on the outside, then try using a canted shim (Big Meats is one brand) to hold the cleat in a postion that your foot naturally inclines to. Outside wear on the sole put the narrow side of the cleat towards the outside and the wide side towards the inside. Reverse this pattern for when the inside wear on the sole is greater.

Thanks,
peterb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:00 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim:
I have a similar problem, and no solution yet. Tell me...how did you discover/measure the one leg shorter thing?
Thanks
peter
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:22 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter:

There is a specific method of measuring the leg lengths by measure from the various boney prominences of the hips, femors and ankles. This is best done by a physical therapist who is trained in the measuring method.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: