TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Relief for Road Rash and Saddle Sores

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:55 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Relief for Road Rash and Saddle Sores Reply with quote

I've had great success with Desitin Cream for saddle sores and road rash following a recent tangle with a Ford pickup. The Desitin Cream is typically used for infant diaper rash (not unlike saddle sores). it is amazing the relief it can give overnight. It is silvadene cream based and a bit messy, but effective. Also works well on scrapes and abrasions. Can be covered with a bandage to protect clothing or bedsheets. I had a horrible scrape on my knee cap, and due to the constant bending of the knee, the scrape/scab would dry out and continue to break open when i bent my knee. Solution -- Desitin---kept the wound moist, and formed a protective barrier and solved the cracking and weeping (mine and the wound's). Give it a try. Best I've found so far.
Aaron Combs, MD
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:13 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: What is in Desitin Reply with quote

Aaron:

Desitin is not Silvadene.

Desitin is:

"Desitin Ointment is specifically formulated with 40% zinc oxide in a base that contains Norwegian cod liver oil, lanolin and petrolatum." (From the Desitin Web site. )

Silvadene is:

Silver sulfadiazine 1% in a white petroleum jelly base with other incredients.

The Desitin trick is still good advice. The heavy petroleum base is protective to the road rash and speeds healing. Many burn centers are switching to using sterile petroleum jelly instead of Silvadene for burn management because Silvadene can increase scarring and can have other undesirable side effects.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:28 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Doc,
you are so right!!! zinc oxide!!
what was i thinking?
bottom line is, it really works.
Doc C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: