TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pre-race hydratation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Torque

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:13 am GMT +0000    Post subject: pre-race hydratation Reply with quote

Hi Doc:
I think I'm doing something wrong with my hydratation or is just my nerves the day before race.
I drink not an exagerated amount of water just maybe about 2 liters a day couple of days before but My body start draining it to the point that I feel I need more but my bladder get too full too often. I measured the night before I lost 2 lt of water. During my normal training I don't drink that much and I feel a lot stronger on my zone 4/5 interval day than at race day. Do you think I need to relax a bit or just drink less? would glycerol help?

Thanks
Johnny
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:29 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny:

Drinking water inexcess of what your body requires will just keep your plumping flushed and if done to extremes can lower your blood sodium and chloride. The 8 glasses of water a day addage has been greatly misconstrued and misinterpreted. The original study showed that the body requires the equivalent of 8 glasses of water a day but it included water in foods and liquids consumed. When most foods consist of 70% or more of water, you likely are over shooting on your hydration. As long as your are staying well hydrated during the the week before a race and don't get behind the hydration 8 ball at prior races, you don't need to chug an extra 2 quarts of water the day before a race. Just drink enough fluids that keep your urine dilute and bathroom breaks around every 2 hours while you are awake and only one during the night. I do not recommend glycerol. I recommend sensible hydration.

Thanks,
Torque

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:52 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Re: hydratation Reply with quote

Paul K. Nolan, MD:
So I think I screwed up my race day, I will aim for that suggestion from now on.
Thanks for your quick replay.
Johnny.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: