TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dehydration Symptoms.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murkona
100+

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:16 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Dehydration Symptoms. Reply with quote

Hey Doc,

With the change in weather from cool to HOT it appears that I am not managing the transition too well. I am an older fart these days and it seems the heat affects my ability to stay hydrated more than it used to. It also seems like I am a bit more fatigued later in the day. The emarrassing part and this is my concern. Is diarrhea a symptom of dehydration? I know it's a cause... What other symptoms should I be aware of for mild and or severe dehydration? How many days, under "normal" conditions, does it take to become hydrated?

Thanks
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:59 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murkona:

Dehydration from excess water loss through sweating and heat usually causes constipation not diarrhea. However, having diarrhea is more likely to make you prone to dehydration in the heat. Get checked by your doctor and make sure you get evaluated for giardia, a parasytic oraganism that can be aquired by ingesting contaminated dirt or water (something that can happen while mountain biking). It can cause chronic diarrhea, weakness, stomach cramping.

As the body ages, it may be less efficient in disipating heat. Sometimes some medications taken may make the body more prone to dehyration such as diuretics for high blood pressure or more prone to heat injury due to causing impaired sweating. Again visiting with your doctor and pharmacist to review your medications can be helpful in looking for possible drugs agrivating your symptoms.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: