TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

elevated HR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbatzing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:39 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: elevated HR Reply with quote

OK...so I "bonked" last week during a 60-mile ride and now I'm learning about pacing myself, nutrition and hydration.

BUT...I noticed that at about 50 miles my HR jumped up...it had been a lazy 118 fairly constantly, then suddenly I couldn't keep it below 140 (my max is 170)

I'd stop, rest, drink, and go SLOWWW...but within a couple minutes, back to 140-150.

So I quit.
What was my body doing?
Thanks Doc.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:33 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbatzing:

Your heart was telling you that your body was fired or better put fried. When the heart rate climbs like that and the exertion level is the same you likely have gotten behing the 8 ball in your hydration. Your heart was having to beat faster to maintain adequate oxygen delivery when the blood had started getting more viscous due to your dehydraterd state.

Once you get dehydrated it can take several days to a couple of weeks for your body to fully recover. Though you can rapidly restore the intravascular (within the blood vessels) fluid volume with oral or IV fluids in a dehydrated state, it take several days to rehydrate the intracellurly (within the body tissues) fluids. You thus find your peak performance blunted, your heart rate staying up higher than usual for a similar effort in similar climatic conditions.

Bottom line, drink plenty of electrolyte and glucose containing fluids during a long ride or work out. I recommend Gatorade, it is cheep, readily available and comes in several palatable flavors. Target for 1-2 quarts per hour depending on the intensity and the climatic conditions your ride in.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: