TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Numb hands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:58 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Numb hands Reply with quote

Doc,

Saturday I had a nasty wreck were I went OTB and literally landed on my head. I lost all feeling from the neck down, and was unable to move my arms or legs for about two minutes. Don't worry, I did go to the doctor and had X-rays done. I'm alittle sore, and my upper back is a little stiff, but the doc said I was ok. Now I do have some numbness and tingling in my hands and part of my lower arms. It was pretty bad on sat, but each day it gets progressively better. I'm taking Naproxen and am laying off bikes for a week. I'm going back to the doctor tomorrow, and A friend of mine who use to play football said it sounded like I got a "stinger". Is the numbness part of the injury, and should it eventually go away?

Thanks.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:18 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

c0okie:

Good that you went to the doctor immediately. It is concerning that you are still having numbness and tingling. There is an injury that can occur to the spinal cord without X-ray evidence of fractures or dislocation, SCIWRA, Spinal Cord Injury Without Radiographic Abnormalities. Your symptoms suggest you may have a spinal cord contusion. An MRI of the spinal cord is in order to evaluate for this kind of an injury as it will not show up on plan X-rays. Talk to your doctor immediately.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:51 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bike Doc wrote:
c0okie:

Good that you went to the doctor immediately. It is concerning that you are still having numbness and tingling. There is an injury that can occur to the spinal cord without X-ray evidence of fractures or dislocation, SCIWRA, Spinal Cord Injury Without Radiographic Abnormalities. Your symptoms suggest you may have a spinal cord contusion. An MRI of the spinal cord is in order to evaluate for this kind of an injury as it will not show up on plan X-rays. Talk to your doctor immediately.

Thanks,

I'm going back on wednesday, and will ask him. The numbness is slowly going away, but it isn't going away as fast as I would like it. Every other part of my body is fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: