TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

beginner aches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:21 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: beginner aches Reply with quote

Doc, Saturday I rode my first long ride of the season at a rally. I was on the bike for 5 hrs and it was really hot. The last 15 miles I had a hard time getting my left hand to shift because of weakness. After the ride I noticed my hand was numb and ever since I have been experiencing numbness and weakness in the left hand. I have mild scoliosis and a curvature in my neck so may this be originating from there? Or, is this normal for this type of long ride or an overtraining problem? Can I ride through it or should I stay off the bike until it heals? Could it be a bike position issue? I have only been riding about a year. Mostly MTB, and increasing the road riding. Would appreciate a word of advice. Thanks.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:58 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

yetiquacker:

The weakness and numbness in your left hand is entirely consistent with nerve compression. If the weakness and numbness is more localized to the ring and little finger, that would be consistent with ulnar nerve compression. The ulnar nerve passes under the pinky side heal of the hand and prolonged, excessive pressure from riding on a traditional bike (mountain or road) can lead to this problem. If the numbness and weakness is predominantly in the thumb, index and middle finger, then the nerve that is being compressed is the median nerve. It passes through the carpal tunnel in the wrist, thus the name carpal tunnel syndrome. Prolonged excess flexion of the wrist, something that also occurs with riding a traditional bike, can lead to this problem. Now if the entire hand and forearm are weak and numb then compression at the level of the cervical spine is more likely; again, the traditional bike riding position and the required hyperflexing of the neck to look down the road can be the culpret. Do stay off the bike for a while until the numbness and tingling go away. Do seek a medical evaluation by your doctor or neurologist to help sort out which nerves are being compressed.

Adjustment to your bike positioning and using padded gloves may help so seek out the assistance of a bike shop well versed in bike fit. If you find that you cannot find a comfortable position that will allow you to do long rides on a traditional bike, do not throw in your bike helmet and give up. Let me refer you to this link on an article I wrote on the medical benefits of recumbent bicycles: http://www.bikeroute.com/BentMedBenefits.html Check out http://www.bentrideronline.com/ and http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com/ for some excellent on line resources of recumbent bicyles. Do not get rid of your mountain bike. A mountain bike still rules off road, can be quite handy for short rides in town and as an urban assault vehicle. Though I ride recumbents most of the time for my road rides, off road rides and urban assaults are best handled by my mountain bike.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:14 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Thanks for the wealth of info. By the sound of it, I have experienced ulnar nerve compression before but it went away naturally. Beginner MTB grip. This time (cervical compression, whole arm) I am hoping is a seat position problem. I had tilted my road bike seat forward fairly recently to relieve seat pressure. Off to the bike shop today to correct the fit and purchase a female specific seat. I also made an appointment with my doctor and will stay off the bike until healed. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: