TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creatine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:15 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Creatine. Reply with quote

I used it during my first season as a beginner and had no problems with cramping or upset stomach.

And, my results were decent.

Catted up this year and didn't use creatine and didn't train properly.
Got my ass handed to me.

I'm training now for the fall season and using small doses of creatine and I swear I see a difference in the amount of POWER I have available when I climb.

Any one else have experience with this supplement?
mike
New

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:29 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used creatine when I was into weight lifting. I always noticed the extra few reps I could squeeze out at the end. The loading phase was never pleasant. I used TriCreatine Malate once and really liked the results from that product. No loading phase is required either with the Tri-Creatine Malate. After my own research though I don't really believe any form of creatine substantially helps the cyclist who races. Poor training probably had more to do with your performance than the lack of creatine. Good luck.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:48 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

cc:

Sports suppliments cannot be endorsed or recommended by me. Up to 30% are tainted with illicit substances (especially androgenic steroids and ephedrine). These substances can be potentially harmful and can get an athlete who is taking them unawares of their contamination banned from competition if found in a drug screne. Yes, it has happened several times. Ingnorance of the contamination is not an acceptable defence. The athlete is fully responsible for the contents of the suppliments consumed.

Now, specifically, about your question regarding creatine. In university studies, creatinine supplimentations have show to improve short bursts of power such as weight lifting or extremely brief sprints, but there is no benefit for endurance in aerobic activities when tested under double blinded placebo controlled trials. Double blinding, placebo controlled trials removes the bias of user and investigator from the study often referred to as the placebo effect: if the user or investigator believes the substance will work, the substance will have a preceived benefit just from the belief that it will. There have been case reports from deaths from creatine supplimentation in amature athletes.

My advise, steer clear, train well and eat smart. If you want to take a suppliment, take a reputable multivitamin such as Centrum.

Sorry to have to disappoint you, but as a physician I cannot condone athlete performance supplimentation.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:50 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Doc.

Good advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: