TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mowing lawns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:34 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Mowing lawns Reply with quote

Hey Doc,
I was laid off this winter and started a lawn service. Does mowing grass
for about an hour, hopping in the truck for fifteen minutes, then mowing again, (repeat for eight hours), help my aerobic engine, or is that only accomplished by time in the saddle?

Thanks,
Lawnboy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:47 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoOd? Issat you?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:48 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you mow the lawn, bouncing around on a riding mower or pushing a power mower? Having done lawn work to get myself through highschool and college, I can certainly speak from experience. Your aerobic engine will benefit from the activity of your "cross training" especially if you do more walking and pushing than riding and turning a wheel. You still should get time on the bike to help condition and train the muscles specific to bike riding. Now if you really want to build your upper extremity and lower extremity aerobic endurance, get an old fashion rotary push mower, the automatic kind.... you are the auto that puts the mation into it. Very Happy Several years ago, I read a story on a custom made pull behind tripple rotary mower set that hooked up the back of a mountain bike. Now THAT is cross training. Laughing

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: