TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

STRENGTH TECHNIQUES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:29 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: STRENGTH TECHNIQUES Reply with quote

Doc,
I suffered a pilon fracture motocrossing last year in April at Dallas SX and started walking again by December. My biking has suffered. My pedal strokes are all lop-sided. My left ankle is the bad one. I don't seem to have the strentgh to do one-legged calf raises- are these the main muscles used in the bottom stroke of the cranks, or is it a small part of the down stroke. I have a new lower tibia from a cadaver and a new talas. I have a bracing plate on the interior of the tibia with 11 screws, just so you know. I can not run, I have tried, just can't be smooth.

YFZRDR

PS- I still race MX, but cycling is my real love
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:27 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

YFZRDR

The gastroc is the primary muscle you'll use in doing the calf-raise. It is a two-joint muscle which means it crosses both the knee and ankle joints. Thus, it helps flex (close) the knee and dorsiflex (point your toe) the ankle. So, how much it helps your pedal stroke really depends on how high your saddle is and if you're a "flat-foot" or "toe-point" kinda rider. The more you tend to point your toe during your pedal stroke, the more your gastroc will be involved. Of course, it will also help (a little) in flexing your knee on the upstroke.

My suggestion is to work on strengthing the weak muscle AND do plenty of "spinning" drills. If you have rollers, RIDE them!! They will really help smooth out the stroke. If you have access to a computrainer, use the spinscan. It will show you how well your spinning in little circles.

Hope this helps.

Terry Dupler, Ph.D.
Texas Trek-VW Regional Team
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:16 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Dr. Dupler;
Thanks for your help. I have already kind of tried to work on spinning by going to a 38 tooth inside ring and always keep my cadence above 100. Physical therapy only focused on range of motion, not strength. I can't do a one-legged calf raise with my left calf, but I am slowly getting better. My range of motion is reduced from having damaged the joint. I have a -15 deg ROM while raising my toes from the floor, and have a +40 degree ROM when pointing my toes(flexion?). Does not having a full range of motion hinder the amount of strength I may be able to get back? Thanks again.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:46 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limited ROM can have an impact on strength. It really depends just how much ROM is limited. In your case, I think you should be able to achieve plenty of strength to do the one-leg calf raise and to cycle more effectively.

Keep working on that strength and keep stretching. You will get most of it back.

Good Luck,

TD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: