TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ivana sweat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:21 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Ivana sweat Reply with quote

Hi Doc,
All kidding aside, I seem to be having a problem with overheating that increases with intensity every year. This really sucks since I live in Houston...need I say more.
When I ride hard, my face gets real red, but stays dry. In fact, I don't really sweat at all. And it doesn't matter how much water I drink. I have no problem riding for long distances at lower heart rates. Sometimes I have to stop and pour water on my head and face just to cool down or I feel like I will explode.
I've been to the doctor for just the opposite also. I have symptoms of Reynauds disease, in that if I get in temps below 60, my fingers turn white and will not get blood back to them unless I put them in warm water.
I'm 45 and don't smoke any more, but love caffeine. I'm pretty skinny so I know that promotes cold capillaries, but my doctor says all I can do for it is to wear gloves. Duh.
So since it's summer, I'm bothered by the overheating and that is my question to you. I hope you have different ideas than my regular doctor since you understand the sport side of it. What can I do to sweat???
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:02 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candiemann:

You have symptoms of hypohydrosis, decreased sweating. There are several possible causes. With your history of Raynaud’s Phenomenon, you may well have an abnormality in your body's ability to respond to different environmental stresses such as heat and cold. This is a link to a good review article on disorders of sweating: http://www.thieme-connect.com/ejournals/pdf/sin/doi/10.1055/s-2004-817724.pdf it has much medical jargon, but if you print a copy of it and review it with your doctor, he or she may get some ideas of what to pursue in diagnostic testing. Possibly a referral to a Dermatologist and/or a Neurologist is in order. Not being able to sweat in Houston is a serious problem and because of your Raynaud’s Phenomenon looking for a job transfer to Nome, Alaska is not in order either. I hope you find some answers soon.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:56 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that a number of medications, both over the counter and prescription, can contribute to decreased sweating. A wide range of medications can have this effect, including some heart meds, sinus meds, antidepressants, and eye drops.

Make sure you review with your doctor all your medications, including OTC, Rx, and any herbal concoctions you may be using.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: