TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bike seat maybe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:55 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: bike seat maybe? Reply with quote

I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

I just got back into rideing and at the moment i am just doing around the neighborhood stuff to build up stamina and get me comfertable on the bike.

God it sucks getting old.

Anyway I tend to wear lose fitting shorts and regular briefs underneath.

My problem that i am having seems to be a combination of a rash and an extremly itchy area between the legs behind the scrotal sack and in front of the anus.

The rash continues up the front side in the crease between the leg and the pubes it is very sensitive to soap and water and has a burning sensation when i spread my legs or take a shower. There is no sluffing or puss just a red irritated area i have tried baby powder to help make sure there is no friction in the area but that just increases the burning sensation. The red raw area happens to be exactly where the line of the briefs comes up the leg.

Further back and lower on the leg i have an area that continues to sluff skin kind of like a sunburn and is very itchy i really think this is like a friction burn or something other then itching and irritating i really don't know what it is. It's about the size of a silver dollar but more oblong then circular.Any help you can provide or directions to look in would be appreciated.

Thanks
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:35 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinbash:

You are in the right place. You likely have a combination of a saddle sore from chafing and a secondary fungal infection, tinea cruris. Two things you need to do. Treat the fungal infection with a topical fungicide such as clotrimazole (Lotrimin) or terbinafine (Lamisil) which can be bought over the counter. You should apply the antifungal according to directions (clotrimazole twice a day terbinafine once a day) after cleaning the area and allowing to dry. Apply the antifungal until one week after all the rash has resolved. If there is failure to improve within one week or if there is increased redness, swelling, fever or pain get an immediate medical evaluation.

Now for the second and seemingly harder thing to help prevent this from recurring: get a set of well made form fitting bicycle shorts. The lycra shorts and cycling specific pad help protect you from chafing and saddle sores. I have found that by using a pair of unpadded liner shorts such as Duofold coolmax-lycra boxers http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39172747&memberId=12500226 underneath the bicycle shorts helps further reduce chafing and prevent saddle sores. Lycra bike shorts are functional and beneficial. Do not worry about how you may look in them. Other informed cyclist know the benefits of lycra bike shorts and if you keep up your riding, you may someday find you start to look good in them. (The are much more effective than a 6 pack of brewskis!)

If you find that conventional bicycle seats and riding possition difficult to adapt to, consider recumbent bicycles. See the following article I wrote on recumbents: http://www.bikeroute.com/BentMedBenefits.html

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: