TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Torn ACL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:57 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Torn ACL Reply with quote

Any suggestions as to what I can do to try to maintain some level of fitness until I'm able to get back on a bike again? I'll be in physical therapy for the next 3-4 weeks before surgery so I'm sure not much during that period, but what about after they're done playing slice and dice with my knee?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:31 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

NitroMike:

Now is a good time to take up some cross training. Find a facility with an indoor pool. Talk to your PT about exercises and work outs you can in do the water that will not unduely stress your ACL. It is also a good time to do some upper extremity weight training as well. Mountain biking benefits from upper extremity strength.

Once you get cleared by your orthopedic doctor you should be able to get back on the bike. Often, stationary bicycling is prescribed as part of the early lower extremity training exercises to rehablilitate an ACL repair. Wait on getting off road until you get the full blessing from your orthopedic doctor. A bad fall and twist to the knee could give you a major set back. When you do get back on your bike, if you use clipless pedals, dial down the release tension to help prevent you from getting locked in when you have to put a foot down suddenly. If you ride in any muddy conditions (something that has been common with the recent spat of wet weather) consider going to old fashion plat form pedals to keep you from getting locked in.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: