TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

leg cramps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big biker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:31 am GMT +0000    Post subject: leg cramps Reply with quote

I am a 6' 1" 225 lb 48 yr old former football player that has taken up mountain/road riding the last 4 yrs for fitness reasons. I love to ride. I am training for longer endurance rides/tours but end up trying to fight off cramps in the thighs and/or calves. I have a steady diet of fruits,vegs ,meats,etc. I regularly eat bananas,plums, cherries , fill my camelback with cytomax, along with 2 bottles of water. I also chomp 2-3 tums an hour prior to long rides(40-50 mi). I am a heavy sweater but feel like I do a good job of hydrating and re-hydrating during rides. I have been training in the weekday afternoons and saturday mornings for about 6 weeks(avg 150-225 mi per week). can you offer suggestions to prevent and ward off cramps during rides and hours after rides? Thx
big biker
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:14 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

big biker:

You have everything right in your cramp prevention program except one very helpful item: stretching. Get the book Stretching by Bob Anderson. It is an easy read and provides invaluable information abour correct stretching, exercise specific stretching (including cycling) and the importance of daily stretching routines. Warm up for 5 to 10 minutes then do a series of stretches to help limber up the legs and ward off the cramps. Do stretching after riding and do daily stretching on your off days or rest days as well.

Thanks,
big biker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:56 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: leg cramps Reply with quote

thanks for the advice on stretching. You are right in that I did not incorporate a stretching routine before, during or after riding. having had recent epic rides of 70,70, 83 and 91 miles with no cramping has hopefully solved my problem. will also tell you that the night before riding long rides I have started drinking more water, but also drinking pedia-lite before and after these rides. thx for the advice.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:18 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

big biker:

Thanks for the follow up. Keep on pedaling!

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: