TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Augmentin diminish your strength/power?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:23 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Does Augmentin diminish your strength/power? Reply with quote

I'm finishing a prescription of Augmentin(500mg tablets 3x a day) for strep(sp?) throat.

The strep has cleared up and I'm finishing the meds per my doctors instructions.

I feel really weak, though, and I don't have much spring in my legs.

Any correlation?

Thanks, Doc!
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:52 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris:

Augmentin, as well asmany other antibiotics, can cause diarrhea and a loss of electrolytes including bicarbonate, potasium, sodium and chloride in the stools. If the blood levels of these electrolytes get low, then you can experience weakness in your muscles. Additionally, the infection that the antibiotics are treating may cause general weakness. Drink plenty of fluids, eat foods high in potasium such as citrus fruits, tomatoes, bananas, figs and dairy products. Have daily servings of active culture yogurt to replace the beneficial bacteria that are killed in your intestinal tract by the antibiotics. Finally, go easier until you are fully recovered from your infection.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:59 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, sir.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: