TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Haven't been riding all year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:44 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Haven't been riding all year Reply with quote

Hello Doc,
January 2005
I hope you have some reason for all this. In Jaunary my right knee develped synovitis . After Physical therapy and an MRI the Dr has no idea what was wromg. To start with a little history, in February, my knee swole for no reason after PT and one MRI it only got better a little. After surgery to check it out it is still only a llittle better.

Soon I started having even worse pain in my sacrolilliac joint, and right foot. Sometimes the pain is severe and have been to the ER twice only go get prescribe prednisone. This really does help but even before the last pill is takin I am hurting much worse than before. The affecct of the drug is like magic though. I have been taken 50mg/day for 5 days

It is now Sept 2005, I still have all the pains from the begining, but now I am having constaint muscle aches in my back pelvic area legs calves and shoulders. I am only able to keep going in the hope my next Dr appointment will have some answers and help for me. This time last year I was an athlete. Now I can barely do anyting. I don't know who else to see or what to do. I have been to so many Drs this year and do not have any diagnosis or a treatment plan. And it gets worse by the day.

I am currently seeing a Rheumatoligist and an Orthapedic surgen. But the usualy treamnet had been lets take this test, and make an appointmet again in 6 weeks to discuss. They don't realize I am in constant pain and on't have the luxory to wait 6 weeks. What do you suggest I do. The ER
gives me prednisone and says to follow up wiyh my dr.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:08 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbeardjr:

I do have a reason, you are one of them.

Your symptoms of recurrent joint swelling, muscle pains with tremporary improvement with prednisone makes a rhematologic disorder very likely. If the rheumatologist you are seeing has not been able to pin down the diagnosis, seek a second opionion. As you live in the south Houston area, you may want to seek a Rheumatologist at one of the medical centers such as Baylor, UT Houston or UTMB Galviston. You should get copies of all your lab results, and physician notes from your rheumatologist and orthopedic doctor and get them forwarded to the consultant. Sometimes just getting a fresh set of eyes to step back and review all the data in a unified way can provide invaluable insight. If the rheumtologist cannot identify a clear rheumtologic disorder that is causing the problem than a search for other primary problems outside of the musculoskeletal system that can cause symptoms with the joints and muscles needs to be aggressively looked for. For example, people with inflamatory bowel disease can have muscle and joint symptoms, people with disorders of the white blood cells can have arthritic manifestations and bone pain.

I hope you find answers soon.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: