TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upsetted stomach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:08 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Upsetted stomach Reply with quote

Doc:

This weekend I restarted ridding after 6 six weeks, since I broke my ribs. I am a bit out of shape so I got tired pretty soon. After the first hour or so of ridding, I started feeling sick and I ended throwing up all the liquid I drank during such time. It took like 10 minutes of resting laying on the ground to recover. After the vomit and rest I was Ok to continue for the next hour and a half.

This is not the first time this happens to me. To be honest I didn't ate anything before ridding. Sometimes I take an antiacid before ridding to prevent this, which I didn't last time.

Is this something "normal" or is somehow I can prevent this other than taking the antiacid pill before riding or that's ok? It was the lack of solids in my stomach that caused such situation?

Thanks for your comments,
AT
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:23 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

atamariz:

Your symptoms are consistent with heat exhaustion. You may not be hydrating correctly when you ride. Low blood sodium, potassium and chloride can make a person get nauseated and vomit. It can occur with inadequate replacement of these salts during a strenuous workout. If you drink plain water during your ride, this can aggravate the problem by replacing water but none of the salts lost in the sweat. This can lead to further lowering of the body salt levels making you prone to worsening nausea and vomiting.

To correct this problem try using an electrolyte containing sport drink such as Gatorade™. Sport drinks by themselves may not replace enough of the salts lost in the sweat for those who are high salt losers to keep the electrolytes from falling. Gatorade contains about 400 mg of sodium per quart. To replace the extra sodium that is lost, have some salted snacks such as pretzels or whole grain crackers such as Triscuits ™ or Wheat Thins ™ before and during your ride. I like to keep on hand a can of V-8 ™ juice for when I am going to be out in the heat or working out because it is high in potassium, sodium (about 600mg/8ounces) and chloride all of which I need to be replacing while exercising. Take it easy as you work yourself back up on your activity level. Those six weeks of forced rest has allowed your body to detune not only in your muscles but in your sweating capabilities. A deconditioned body will loose more salt but less water in the sweat. As the body gets conditioned it will loose less salt in the sweat but will increase the amount of water put out in the sweat. A conditioned male athlete can loose up to 2 quarts of sweat an hour and anywhere from 600 to 1200 mg of sodium/hour, the equivalent amount of salt in 8-16 ounces V-8 ™ juice.

There is an nice related discussion at Velonews The Feed Zone http://www.velonews.com/train/articles/8940.0.html

Give me a follow up in the next 4 weeks.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: