TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acid Reflux

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:03 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Acid Reflux Reply with quote

Hi Bike Doc...

About 30 minutes to an hour after my past two moderate rides (with some high intensity thrown in), I have been experiencing acid reflux. It's so intense that I find it hard to swallow.

I have been drinking about equal parts of water and sports drink during the ride...and my preride meals are not spicy or unusual...and were consumed more than two hours before the ride.

The symptoms go away after a few hours.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:38 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Kilauea:

If you are getting the sour taste in the back of your mouth from stomach contents coming all the way up, that could be consistent with reflux but it could be symptoms associated with something more serious. If you are having heart burn (achy, hot, burning pain just below the breast bone to upper stomach area) that could be due to reflux but it could also be due to angina (chest pain from inadequate blood flow to the heart). Nausea and bringing up stomach contents can be associated with angina and reflux. I would recommend a visit with a competent internest to discuss your symptoms more fully and possibly obtain further diagnostic testing. If it is reflux, dietary adjustments (cuttting out all caffiene, alcohol and high fat foods), weight reduction if you are overweight and medications of the class of proton pump inhibitors (PPI) such as Nexium, Prevacid, Prilosec, or Protonix can provide substantial relief. If it is angina and you do not get appropriate treatment, you can suffer a life threatening or debilitating heart attack.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:24 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Thanks Bike Doc Reply with quote

Thanks Bike Doc...

I'll make see my doctor ASAP.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:50 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have experienced the same problem. But, it only bothers me during the heat of the summer. I stopped drinking lemon/lime and orange gatorade and swtiched to Cytomax. This seems to help.
the toninator
250+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:28 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

cut back on the caffene, FRIED foods, oj (i'm trying the low acid type though)

oh and see your doc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:36 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ca-ca-caf-caf-caffeine! I just ha-have to have my caffeine
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:41 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last caffeine comment was mine. I wasn't trying to be anonymous about my caffeine intake. I guess I had to much jitter in my typing. Just kidding. On days that I plan on riding, I reduce my caffeine intake to just about 1/2 to 1 cup of coffee in the morning.
the toninator
250+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:02 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been battling with Acid reflux since I started racing in 2001 but started having problems a year or two prior. I've been through just about all of the medications and have found one that doesn’t make me ill, aciphex. Intense riding makes it worse whether I’m on medication or not. I’ve been dialing in my diet since and am finding a pretty good balance.
stay away from double caffeine gu's, spicy foods and greasy foods. i'm probably going to get healthy one of these days, not just fit, in spite of my self. I’ve added a salad with dinner and have recently quit eating kolotchies for breakfast and started eating a flake cereal with fruit. A little while down the road I’ll switch to a cereal without a lot of sugar in and probably 2% milk even Surprised
I don’t drink coffee and quit drinking soda’s in 98 when I quit smoking. OH and trying to stay away from alcohol (but not too far :p )
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:24 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Thanks Guys...Much Better Now. Reply with quote

It turns out it was a diet thing. Stopped the citrus "sports drinks", cut back on the coffee, and the spicy foods the day of a ride...and no problems. Doctor says my health is fine...and acid reflux was the case.

Bottom line...watch what you eat and drink Rolling Eyes
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:03 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Kilauea:

Thanks for the follow up.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:14 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike Doc...i am having the similar problem and wondering should i try an otc acid reflux med or something like rolaids before my rides...at first i thought it was because of citrus flavored drinks but water causes it also
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:43 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikerkop:

If your symptoms have been persisting more than three weeks it would be advisable to seek a medical evaluation. The over the counter medication Priolosec(TM) is very effective in reducing stomach acid production and can significantly help reduce reflux symptoms. However, I do recommend seeking a medical evaluation when there are chronic reflux symptoms. Do eliminating foods and drinks that can aggrivate reflux such as high fat foods, carbonated beverages, caffeine and for some individuals, spicey foods.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: