TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Racing with leftover hematoma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:08 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Racing with leftover hematoma Reply with quote

Hi Doc,
I had a nasty crash 2 weeks ago & the damage to me was a hematoma, swelling & a lot of bruising along the upper half of the inside of my thigh. I kept it elevated the rest of the weekend & wrapped in an Ace. I then kept it wrapped for the next week except while sleeping & took long hot soaks in the tub nightly. There is just a hint of discoloration, no swelling or pain, but I do still have a ~2 in dia hard area where the hematoma was. Should I go ahead & wrap it this weekend while riding or do anything else to it? Thanks for any advice!
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:16 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest:

You may not be up to 100% but the exercising of the muscle will help speed the resolution of the hematoma. Do wear the ace when you ride. Keep a rational head on your shoulders and listen to you leg. If it is uncomfortable and starts to hurt more, back off and count the race as a training and conditioning ride with a big group of your riding friends. Sometimes hematomas can calcify and form a hard, bone like knot that are very slow to resolve. If at any time their is increased pain, swelling, fever or local warmth, seek an immediate medical evaluation.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:22 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

Hi Doc, back from Ruston & wanted to update you on the hematoma. Rode with it wrapped. No pain, redness, heat or swelling. The only thing I noticed was some bruising came to the surface after my pre-ride & was gone by this morning & the same thing today after the race along with an almost 50% decrease in size. The hematome felt fine but I had jello legs during my race from not getting in any quality riding over the last 2 weeks, but at least I got some of my confidence back after that nasty crash that caused the hematoma. Thanks for your help!!!

D.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:55 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.

Thanks for the feed back. It is not unusual for some bruising to develop over a hematoma area. As the hematoma breaks down from its solid state of clotted blood, to a liquefied state, some of that declotted blood works its way to the surface causing the bruising discoloration much like what you experienced.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: