TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

blood work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:08 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: blood work Reply with quote

Hi doc,

I went in for a physical recently, and asked to get checked for diabetes, after being kinda lethargic recently. On the bike, i just have no gas to hammer, and my endurance seems to be sliding, so of couse this concerns me!

I got my lab results, but don't understand what's happening.

my trigercyerides are at 305, although my total cholesterol is 155 (hdl=45, ldl=49) glucose is 88. I want to take corrective action, but don't know how. I don't drink or smoke, and I weigh 145 (5'7)

My second question is how to boost my blood (naturally, ethically and healthily).

My hemoglobin = 12.5, hematocrit = 37.7 (I gave blood about 2-3 weeks prior to the test), but want to speed recovery/production.

it also said my sample was lipemic, but the best i can gather is that my blood is fatty??
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:18 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorge,

I'm not an MD, just a little old Ph.D., but I do think your hemoglobin and hematocrit seem a little on the low-normal side (meaning, they are in the normal range, but on the low side of normal)[if I'm remembering my blood norms correctly!] The fact that you gave blood within the last few weeks may have contributed to those numbers. These values being on the low side can make you feel tired.

Your triglycerides are high, and you would like to see your HDLs a little higher.

So, what to do? I would take a serious look at your diet first. Are you sure you are getting a balance of (naturally occurring) vitamins and minerals? Those will be key in red blood cell regeneration, lipid metabolism, etc.

I'm sure Doc Nolan will have better and more "medical" advice for you.

Good Luck.

Terry
Jorge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:04 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice Terry... I am looking at my diet now to reduce some risky elements (snickers and coffee). Not "happy" about that, but if it helps the cause I'll do it. =)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:07 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorge:

Do visit with your doctor and definitely get a referral to a registered dietician about ways to improve you cholesterol/triglyceride profile with the foods you choose to eat. Eating plenty is not bad, eating plenty of the wrong foods and wrong driinks is what gets folks in trouble. You regular exercise is also key in improving your HDL cholesterol and reducing you LDL and triglyceride levels.

In regards to your hemoglobin , 12 mg is low for a male (low normal is 14mg). Visit with your doctor about your hemoglobin level and whether or not is is due to your donating blood (which I highly commend you for) or is there something else going on that may not be as obvious. I would be cautious to say it is just from donating blood and would make sure something else is not causing especially with your symptoms of feeling rung down.

Thanks,
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:09 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest was me, I thought I was still logged in when I replied.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:20 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doc! I consulted with my family doctor who said that I was slightly anemic, there is another test pending, but I'm sure things are fine.

thanks again for your help =)
Jorge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: