TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anxiety

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guest1968

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:12 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Anxiety Reply with quote

Hi Doc,

My question deals with too much anxiety before a race. The morning of every race for the past six months is a nightmare. It starts with normal bm's and then closer to the race I begin running to the portacan over and over and over. Not to mention I started dry heaving my last race. I know a little nervousness is "normal", but this is making me crazy. About two minutes before the race starts all symptoms disappear and I'm ready to race. I've been racing and running marathons for over a year, and it all started about six months ago.

Is there anything I can take (anti-anxiety) that won't knock me out? Or what about taking Pepto? I was concerned with the Pepto because it will hamper water absorption while racing.

Please help!! Thank you,

Spaz
guest1968

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:37 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: anxiety Reply with quote

Oh yeah, one more thing. It's not like I'm eating Mexican food the night before or anything. I eat pasta or a baked potato, nothing too heavy or that could cause any problems the morning of the race. In the morning I eat plain toast.

Thanks again,

Spaz
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:31 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spaz:

What you are experiencing before your races is actually quite common. That is one reason we make sure there are necessary facilities near the start of the race at our location in Warda. Many other venues likewise do the same. Colleges students often experience what you describe the day of a big test.

Instead of recommending medications to help alleviate your pre-race anxiety, I would instead recommend visiting with psychologist who is familiar with counseling athletes. Learning imaging and relaxation techniques would be of great benefit and require more than what can be provided on a forum such as this. To get a recommendation for a sport psychologist, visit with a sports medicine physician in your area, or if you live near a major university, check with the health center affiliated with the university whom they refer their athletes to for such counseling and support.

Many of the anti-anxiety medications that can help you feel more relaxed can significantly affect your performance so I would not recommend that kind of a remedy at this time.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:27 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does/can anxiety medication affect performance?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:02 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always join team immodium... Ride with the little blue cork Wink

Not sure if it inhibits liquid or energy absorption (it didn't seem to), but I always kept some handy (yeah, so I'm the high strung nervous type, sometimes). For me, just quieting the gut down was enough to get me happy and peaceful for the rest of the pre-race time.

-Kyl
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:55 am GMT +0000    Post subject: How does anti-anxiety medications affect performance Reply with quote

Anti-anxiety medications of the class of benzodiazepams (medications like Ativan, Librium, Valium, Xanax) that are taken only on an as needed basis for situational anxiety which is much like Spaz is experiencing are sedating and can slow reaction time. Another class of anti-anxiety medications that are used in treating stage fright are of the class of beta-blockers. These can impede the ability of the heart rate to rise and therefore seriously impede maximal performance in aerobic and anaerobic activity. Buspirone another anti-anxiety medication requires a minimum of two weeks before any benefit can be noted, it does not work when only taken briefly such as the morning of a race. Buspirones side effects include sedation, fatigue and light headedness which also is very undesirable for maximal, safe performance.

Thanks,
Guest1968

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:07 am GMT +0000    Post subject: anxiety Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation Doc. I went out and bought some relaxation/meditation cd's and are willing to give them a try. I thought I'd try that first before going to a shrink. I put one in yesterday and fell asleep--I need to practice. My next big event is Nov 6, I'll let ya know how the cd's work, or don't.

Kly, I'm bringing some Imodium, just in case.

Thanks,
Spaz
strohls freely
100+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:30 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just say no. Drugs for anxiety? Confused

Maybe ask yourself "Why are you racing?"
I mean really. What is the real reason?

Answering this question disolves alot of foreign matter that really does not matter, therefore leaving you at the starting line focused on why you are really there - - - whatever and whyever that might be. Wink
Guest1968

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:04 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Anxiety Reply with quote

Hey Doc,

Just wanted to thank you for the advice. I had a race this past weekend, and my anxiety was so much better. I listened to some meditations that I had downloaded into my mp3 player before the race, and it really seemed to help. I also just sat and listened to some music. The distraction helped my situation. I think for the first time in a long time I just experienced "normal" pre-race anxiety.

Thanks again,

Spaz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: