TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Excessive Fatigue or Just Old Age

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:38 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Excessive Fatigue or Just Old Age Reply with quote

OK, I'm 48+ and I don't mind the hair loss, or the fact that I need reading glasses, but I hate constantly not having any energy. I am just about to sink some bucks into one of these clinics that specializes in keeping people looking and feeling young. The trouble is my gut feeling tells me it is nothing but a scam. What do you think, Doc? Is it possible to get some of my youthful energy back through vitamin, hormone, and diet therapy? And if I am already eating healthy and taking a multi-vitamin am I really going to notice any difference?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:27 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Re: Excessive Fatigue or Just Old Age Reply with quote

manster wrote:
OK, I'm 48+ and I don't mind the hair loss, or the fact that I need reading glasses, but I hate constantly not having any energy. I am just about to sink some bucks into one of these clinics that specializes in keeping people looking and feeling young. The trouble is my gut feeling tells me it is nothing but a scam. What do you think, Doc? Is it possible to get some of my youthful energy back through vitamin, hormone, and diet therapy? And if I am already eating healthy and taking a multi-vitamin am I really going to notice any difference?

I feel your pain - except for the hair loss! I can't wait to hear the response!
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:03 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Re: Excessive Fatigue or Just Old Age Reply with quote

manster wrote:
I am just about to sink some bucks into one of these clinics that specializes in keeping people looking and feeling young. The trouble is my gut feeling tells me it is nothing but a scam.

Listen to your gut!

If you want to spend some money (wisely), get an excellent book in nutrition (Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook) an excellent book on stretching to help keep your aging body limber (Bob Anderson's Stretching) and a good reference of bicycle related health issues (Arnie Baker, MD Bicycling Medicine) to start off with, then go take a ride with Frederic (Fred) Schmid Texas' own MASTERS 70+ WORLD CHAMPION MTB racer who started bicycle riding and racing after turning 60. If you are feeling unusually run down, do see your doctor to make sure something more serious is not going on. I am just a wink older than you and I sure would not blame getting old for feeling run down. Ned Overend turned 51 this year and he is still shaking up the road and MTB endruance race circuit.

Please allow me the liberty to relate a story of a gent I cared for a few years ago. He was 104 at the time. When he was asked by his Internest if he had any major disappointments in his last 10 years of life he said, "The loss of my eye sight." His internest replied, "Was that because you could not read your bible or your newspaper anymore?" The gentleman quipped, "No, it was because I couldn't follow my golf ball anymore. My son-in-law use to follow it for me after I hit it but he got old and died on me at 80." This gent played 9 holes of golf every day, walking the course up until he was 99.

Bottom line, go ride your bike and rejuvinate your life. Spend the money you would blow at a "fountain of youth clinic" on your bike and the above mentioned books. Get out with your family to live and ride and ride to live!

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: