TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

staph infection/skin irritation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:54 am GMT +0000    Post subject: staph infection/skin irritation Reply with quote

Can I get a skin staph infection/inflamation from the plastic of my HR monitor? From my helmet? Can staph live in my bike shorts, shoes, eyewear, etc? Any recommendations on how to treat these annoying skin inflamations without going to the doctor?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:44 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam:

Let me answer your questions one at a time.

#1 Yes
#2 Yes
#3 Yes
#4 Yes
#5 Yes
#6 Yes
#7 Yes, but...

Staph bacteria live on the skin normally. If something causes irritation and inflamation then the Staph can overgrow and an infection develops. Things that can irritate your skin such as sensitivity to certain chemicles whether man or nature made can set the stage for an infection. If you have a sensitivity to latex, a natural occurring substance harvested from the rubber tree, then any items contacting your skin that contain latex such as plastic and elastic waist bands can trigger a rash that can then become infected. It is likely you are washing your bike clothes and heart rate monitor straps and transponder after each use to help decrease overgrowth of bacteria on these items; do keep this up. Make sure to double rinse the items in clean water to get rid of any soap residue. Allowing them to dry in open sun light will help the ultraviolet rays destroy bacteria. Some individuals have low immunoglobulin levels that make them more prone to staph infections.

It would be best to seek a medical evaluation to see if there is something that is setting you up for recurrent skin infections.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: