TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ganglionic Cyst

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:48 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Ganglionic Cyst Reply with quote

Hi Doc, I've got what appears to be a Ganglionic Cyst in my Left wrtist. I've put off having it actually looked at because I'm guessing that surgery would be most likely. I have no problem with surgery, but I'm concerned about the down time afterward. Usually as long as I wrap it when riding, it doesn't bother me or flare up too bad, but on those accasions where I've been having to use it alot at work (veterinary neuro/surgery nurse) or riding without wrappping it, it gets aggrivated & is pretty painful. What am I looking at as far as possible down time post-op & do people go thru physical therapy & such for these things? Also, is there anything that I can do to help with this thing so that I can hold off any possible surgery until after Mammoth in July (yes, that's my goal) Thanks for your thoughts!

Denni
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:08 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an employee with one on the back of his hand. He was treated through surgery(local and very minor) and returned to work in 2 weeks.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:59 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest:

Have it looked at by an orthopedic doctor or hand surgeon. You may not require surgery. Sometimes local injections of steroids can help resolve this. Another old fashion option that is reminiscent of one of the historical names of the gangilonic cyst, a book cyst, is to rupture the cyst with a firm blow of a large medical textbook (or any other large hardbound book) while the hand/wrist is held flat on a firm surface with the cyst side facing up. Now do not try this at home. Let the doctor do it if the cyst is of a nature that would allow easy rupturing of the cyst. (I had "book cyst" successfully treated thusly.) If the cyst is not responsive to concervative management, and it is causing significant symptoms, then surgery is in order and most individuals heal rapidly. Talk with your doctor about the options. If you persue surgery, closely follow the post operative treatment plan to avoid complications such as wound infection or scarring.

Thanks,
Guest 1968

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:59 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: cyst Reply with quote

My mom used to get them in her wrist frequently. She would take her bible and (do just as the dr ordered not to do--at home) have my dad slam it. It would go away for awhile, but it always came back. It would be gone for a few months. She finally went and had the surgery. It took her a few weeks to recover, but she's 60. I had another friend that got one and had the surgery and she was back to work in a few days. Her recovery was quick.

Maybe you could get a dr to try the book method in his/her office first as an option to surgery.

Spaz
Overenda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:38 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one about ten years ago, I had it removed with no problem. I was only out of work for a week, a cast like thing was still on and I had no problem with riding either, road any way. It was hard to get the hand to work but I could still hold on fine.

I was a hairstylist then. Hard to work with a straight wrist, but it can be done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: