TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blood Pressure Meds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fast Eddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:34 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Blood Pressure Meds Reply with quote

Doc,

I've been catagorized in the "Pre Hypertension" group and take a low dose of Lysinopril. I take it like I'm supposed to until a big ride is close at hand. Then I stop taking it for about 3 or 4 days before the big ride/race. I seem to think that I am much faster on the bike and have more endurance when I'm off the medicine. I then start taking it again the following day.

Is it in my head that I a faster, or am I in fact faster.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:19 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast Eddy:

Lisinopril is an antihypertensive (blood pressure lowering) medication that works by blocking the effects of a hormone ACE (angiotensin converting enzyme) that constricts blood vessels. It is of the class of ACE inhibitors Unlike some of the other blood pressure medications which can have an imparing effects on your performance such as beta blockers and calcium channel blockers, ACE inhibitors usually do not impair performance. I would caution you against stopping and restarting your blood pressure medication without direct supervision or recommendations to do so from your doctor. It is possible with regular aerobic exercise and dietary moderation that you may be able to eliminate your need for blood pressure medication. However, do not treat yourself indiscriminately; if you need your blood pressure medication and you stop it suddenly, you may be at higher risk for stroke, heart attack, kidney injury and other complications from hypertension. Talk with your doctor.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: