TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anti depressants for males that don't damage libido.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:00 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Anti depressants for males that don't damage libido. Reply with quote

Your thoughts, Doc?

I'm thinking about giving meds a try but don't want to lose my, uhm, "mojo".

Or, gain weight.

I think I need an anti anxiety/anti depressant??

Can you refer a good psychopharmacologist in the Austin area.

Any good new meds that come to mind?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:57 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher:

I have been out of the Austin loop for quite some time, so I cannot give you a name for a referral there. Visit with you physician, he or she may have a good recommendation for you.

In regards to anti-depressants that may not affect your libido, the class of the Selective Seretonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI) of which medications like Prozac (Fluoexitine) and Zoloft (sertraline) belong to, there are anywhere from 1-10% incidence of side effects of decreased libido and impotence. In other words, 90-99% of the time it is not an issue. The tricyclic antidepressants to which amitriptylene (Elavil) and imipramine (Tofranil) belong, have even less of a reported incidence of altered libido, some may even increase libido in some individuals (this may be more of the effect of improving the depression) but some other individuals may have decreased libido. They may cause urinary retention in some individuals.

The best way to go is to get a referral to a Psychiatrist that you can establish good raport with and work with him or her on finding the medication and therapy program that works best for you while minimizing side effects. There is enough variablity in response and side-effects of the different anti-depressents from one individual to another that what may work (or not work) for one individual may not be the case for another individual using the same medication.

Do visit with your doctor and get a referral.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:05 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Doc!
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:50 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

so 68 people have looked at this thread and nobody has anything to add?

C'mon, don't be chicken! If this were a question about pain killers or tendinitis or something, I bet I'd be hearing a lot more.

You can be a man and still take an anti depressant.
Really.

At least do then , I have a friend.....
CR66

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:43 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a Psychiatrist, only a MA level School Psycholgist, but maybe you can try exercising more or more consistently. Exercising raises beta endorhpins which might help with depression. During the winter months, you may want to get one of those special "happy" lamps that is commonly used for alleviating symptoms associated with Seasonal Affective Disorder (S.A.D., winter depression), jet lag, shift work fatigue, seasonal change, and insomnia, the lamp provides that daily “dose” of sunshine you're looking for to boost your body’s sense of well-being, alertness and energy.

Hope this helps and you should have no adverse side effects!

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1998/10Oct/artal.htm
http://www.toolsforwellness.com/42001.html
klx677

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:42 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lexapro was very helpful for me.
cmclark
New

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:30 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy's Town always works for me. Twisted Evil

My wife was on Paxil and she is always tired and has no sex drive at all. When she gets off she springs back, but so does the rest of it. The doc said you have to be consistent and stay on the drug. Personnally, I would try anything natural first. I do not trust these drugs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: