TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inguinal hernia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:15 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Inguinal hernia Reply with quote

Hello,

I went to the DR. yesterday and while there he did the turn your head and cough test. He made me do it several time sthen told me I have a small inguinal hernia. I asked what I needed to do about it and he just said its up to me, if it is more bothersome to me than surgery I should have it fixed. Well the deal is I have no pain no symptoms wouldn't even know it was there if he wouldn't have told me. I have felt around down there coughed the works and I can't feel anything out of the ordinary on either side. What do you think should I worry about this? Is riding my bike likely to make it worse?

Thanks,
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:14 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbeardjr:

An inguinal hernia is due to an abnormally enlarged opening in the inner aspect of the lower abdominal cavity leading into the groin (the inguinal canal) where the blood vessels and genital organs passed from the abdominal cavity during fetal development. In some individuals this opening did not narrow down sufficiently leading to a defect that allows the abdominal contents to protrude down into the inguinal canal and into the groin and/or scrotum causing the hernia. It can have varying degrees of severity. There can be only a mild form such as yours which can only be detected with special manuvers and more severe forms that are easily apparent. Your bicycling has not had anything to do with causing your hernia. However, if you were to strain heavily trying to lift something heavy or strained hard to move the bowels you could potentially enlarge the hernia. The decision to treat is based on your comfort (or discomfort level) with the current hernia and risks for worsening the hernia such as having a job that could make it progressively worsen such as repetitive lifting of heavyobjects. These are all things you need to discuss with your doctor and surgeon who would consider performing the surgery. Not all hernias have to be repared. The decision has to be weighed in light of the risks versus benefits of having the surgery performed. At any time you get intense pain or marked swelling in the groin and/or genital area, seek an immediate medical evaluation. Occasionally, a loop of intestins can become entrapped in the enlarged inguinal canal opening and become trapped and loose blood supply. If this were to occur, it could be life threatening if not immediately taken care of.

In the meantime, if you are feeling find and not having any swelling, go ride your bike and think about it what you and your doctor discussed. Consider an evaluation by a general surgeon to discuss the risks and benefits in more detail.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: