TMBRA - Rider Board

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Source of energy for TT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Murkona
100+


Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 216
Location: Austin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:27 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Source of energy for TT Reply with quote

Doc,

What is the most assimilable, best, most effective etc... form of sugar for exercise? OR is sugar even something to be concerned about vs. salt(s)?Soooooo much talk and everything I read I forget. Sooo many products! I used the Clif packs (electrolyte replacement) during the 24 hour and actually felt as strong at the end as I did in the beginning. Most of what I ingested were electrolytes / water, rice pudding, some peanut butter and that's it - felt great. For this 100 mile TT ride I'm a little concerned because most of my training isn't over 50miles and usually fairly high intensities with longer rest periods. I'm not in the mood to BONK! Still planning to do the 12 hour and race all year.

A little advice?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Bike Doc
250+


Joined: 08 May 2003
Posts: 1371
Location: Corpus Christi and Warda, Texas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:21 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murkona:

I am sorry I was off line for until after the TT so my answer is too late to help you for the TT but may help with furture endurance races. I suspect you did what you found already was working for you which is what I would advise. No major dietary changes should be implemented during a competitive event. The time for trial and testing is your training days not race days. Long endurance events require a different approach to nutrition than short races under 2 hours. Your food selection for the 24 hour race is a good base to work with for the marathon races. You need quick sources of carbohydrates in the form of simple sugars such as your sport drinks, energy gels and energy bars, but you also need high density calories to fuel the furnace of an endurance race. The best high density calorie sources are foods that have a higher percentage of their calories derived from fat. Peanut butter and rice pudding are right up there in that category. Be cautious though and not over do the fat intake. The key is eating frequent small amounts so you don't get and indigestible lump of lard in your gut. Fat takes longer to empty from your stomach and if you consume too great a wallop of fat, you may find yourself looking at the contents of your stomach spilled out on the trail. Always have some carbohydrates with your fats. Do a mix of readily usable simple carbohydartes (sugars) with complex carbohydrates (whole grains) some fat and some protein. An easy example is cheeze (or peanut butter) on whole grain crackers with a sport drink chaser. Or my favorite long distance endurance food is home made oatmeal cookies with dried cranberries and nuts made with whole wheat flower and whole rolled oats. They have all the key ingredients, chew easily, unlike many energy bars, are inexpensive and taste WAY BETTER,compared to energy bars.

Recipe below:

Doc Nolan’s “Cowboy Cookies” (or “Go Ride Your Bike Cookies”)

Wet Ingredients:
2 sticks butter (or 1 cup canola oil)
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
2 Large to Extra Large eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Dry Ingredients:
¾ cup whole wheat flour
¾ cup unbleached four
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground allspice
1/8 tsp. ground cloves

Textured Ingredients:
3 cups old fashion oats
1 cup Dried Cranberries (Craisins)
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts

Mixing Wet Ingredients:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Melt butter in double boiler, (or carefully melt in microwave without over heating) as soon as butter melts remove from hot water or microwave. (If using canola oil, skip this step.)
3. Scramble eggs in large mixing bowl then gradually add melted butter (or canola oil) to eggs stirring rigorously.
4. Stir vanilla into egg and butter mixture.
5. Add brown sugar and granulated sugar to egg butter mix and beat until smooth and a light creamy tan color. The mix will be dark brown at first but will gradually turn to a light tan.

Mixing Dry Ingredients:
Mix flours, baking soda, salt cinnamon, allspice and cloves together in a separate bowel.

Blending Ingredients:
1. Stir in flour mix into wet ingredients until well mixed and smooth and tan.
2. Fold in textured ingredients (Craisens, coconut, walnuts and oats) into mix until uniformly distributed and well coated (the mix will be quite stiff and sticky).

Bake:
1. Place well rounded table spoons of dough evenly spaced (the cookies will spread out to double their width) onto a non-stick cookie sheet.
2. Place sheet one at a time into the preheated oven.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes (until an even light golden brown); remove from oven; let cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheet then remove to cooling rack or onto paper towel laid flat on the counter top. Let cool at least 10 minutes.
4. Makes about 30 cookies.
5. These cookies store well at room temperature in a cookie tin for up to one week (if they will last that long!). Mine usually last lest than ½ a day at work!

Enjoy!

Paul K. Nolan, MD
Cowboy Doc/The Bike Doc

Thanks,
_________________
Paul K. Nolan, MD
AKA: The Bike Doc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Murkona
100+


Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 216
Location: Austin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:10 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm all over the cookies in fact I bought my wife a Kitchen Aid mixer for xmas and she's been looking for a reason to use it.

I'm with you on the energy bars-really have a rough time eating them. I'm old school-fig newtons, bananas and water. The rice pudding's a new one for the longer events.

I'll let you know how the cookies turn out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guest






PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:52 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bike Doc wrote:

Doc Nolan’s “Cowboy Cookies” (or “Go Ride Your Bike Cookies”)

Wet Ingredients:
2 sticks butter (or 1 cup canola oil)
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
2 Large to Extra Large eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Dry Ingredients:
¾ cup whole wheat flour
¾ cup unbleached four
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground allspice
1/8 tsp. ground cloves

Textured Ingredients:
3 cups old fashion oats
1 cup Dried Cranberries (Craisins)
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts

Mixing Wet Ingredients:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Melt butter in double boiler, (or carefully melt in microwave without over heating) as soon as butter melts remove from hot water or microwave. (If using canola oil, skip this step.)
3. Scramble eggs in large mixing bowl then gradually add melted butter (or canola oil) to eggs stirring rigorously.
4. Stir vanilla into egg and butter mixture.
5. Add brown sugar and granulated sugar to egg butter mix and beat until smooth and a light creamy tan color. The mix will be dark brown at first but will gradually turn to a light tan.

Mixing Dry Ingredients:
Mix flours, baking soda, salt cinnamon, allspice and cloves together in a separate bowel.

Blending Ingredients:
1. Stir in flour mix into wet ingredients until well mixed and smooth and tan.
2. Fold in textured ingredients (Craisens, coconut, walnuts and oats) into mix until uniformly distributed and well coated (the mix will be quite stiff and sticky).

Bake:
1. Place well rounded table spoons of dough evenly spaced (the cookies will spread out to double their width) onto a non-stick cookie sheet.
2. Place sheet one at a time into the preheated oven.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes (until an even light golden brown); remove from oven; let cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheet then remove to cooling rack or onto paper towel laid flat on the counter top. Let cool at least 10 minutes.
4. Makes about 30 cookies.
5. These cookies store well at room temperature in a cookie tin for up to one week (if they will last that long!). Mine usually last lest than ½ a day at work!

Enjoy!

Paul K. Nolan, MD
Cowboy Doc/The Bike Doc

Thanks,




Increadible.

You have amazing responses to all these medical questions, and now you are dolling out recipes.

Keep this up and you will have another forum on TMBRA for trading recipes.
Back to top
the toninator
250+


Joined: 01 May 2003
Posts: 1706
Location: Hights

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:07 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.e-caps.com/downloads/fuelinghandbook.pdf

http://www.ride424.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Murkona
100+


Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 216
Location: Austin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:00 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toninator: thanks for the link to the fueling handbook-it's awsome!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anonymous
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:28 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the recipe Doc


.
Back to top
the toninator
250+


Joined: 01 May 2003
Posts: 1706
Location: Hights

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:58 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murkona wrote:
Toninator: thanks for the link to the fueling handbook-it's awsome!


You are welcome. Doc’s recipe is good stuff!

I thought it would be informative even though it’s E-Cap/Hammer nutrition propaganda. At a certain stage of fitness I found it useful. I try to read just about anything I can regarding fuel handling for endurance training and racing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Murkona
100+


Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 216
Location: Austin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:44 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife will be baking a few batch's of Doc's cookies for the 12 hour at Warda. Look for the 360 Cycleworks tent if your interested in trying a few. Besides a little water and electrolytes, I'm planning on these cookies doing the trick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Bike Doc
250+


Joined: 08 May 2003
Posts: 1371
Location: Corpus Christi and Warda, Texas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:19 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murkona:

There's alot riding on those cookies. If you win and kick butt I will regret I did not patent my recipe. If you loose big time, my cookie reputation will be forever sullied. Dang, no matter what happens, I going to loose out... Wink

Enjoy the race and the cookies. Gives us the feed back (pun useful but not intended) on the cookies and your race.

Thanks,
_________________
Paul K. Nolan, MD
AKA: The Bike Doc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Guest






PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:11 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lookin' out for ya Doc. Speaking of patents I kinda like the name - Doc Nolan's Cookies - maybe a trademark??? I'll make sure the likes of Winkleman eat a few that way you can claim a podium finish.
Back to top
The Bike Doc
250+


Joined: 08 May 2003
Posts: 1371
Location: Corpus Christi and Warda, Texas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:37 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I'll make sure the likes of Winkleman eat a few that way you can claim a podium finish.


Maybe we should start talking sponsorship deal here! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks for keeping the sunny side up.
_________________
Paul K. Nolan, MD
AKA: The Bike Doc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
The Bike Doc
250+


Joined: 08 May 2003
Posts: 1371
Location: Corpus Christi and Warda, Texas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:21 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Murkona, 12 hrs of Dirt/Cookie Follow Up? Reply with quote

Murkona:

How did you do at the 12 hrs of Dirt? Did the cookies see you through?

Thanks,
_________________
Paul K. Nolan, MD
AKA: The Bike Doc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Murkona
100+


Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 216
Location: Austin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:00 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cookies were a hit and yes they saw me through. I wasn't sure if you'd be in town and brought some extras, but your brother informed me you were in Ohio doing the doctor thing. My wife modified the recipe by putting in cranberries instead of cranraisins, but the rest of the recipe was followed to the letter. Excellent cookies!

I did alright at the race and had a great time. My partner and I rode 5 laps each mainly for training and after the race I realized I had a stomach virus which kinda slowed me down. I was bed ridden on Sunday and Monday. Doggone viruses can really creep up on ya. Our times were up there with the top 5 two man teams for about 10 laps. It was a furious competition in the 2 man class between the likes of Eric Hess, Nathan Winkleman etc...

I'll be there next year! Great Race!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Bike Doc
250+


Joined: 08 May 2003
Posts: 1371
Location: Corpus Christi and Warda, Texas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:55 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murkona:

Glad to hear your race and the cookies went well. I am sorry about the stomach virus. I will be back in Texas permanently in July this year, so I plan on being at next years race as well. A brief trip back to Texas is in store for me for the Warda Race March 5 & 6; if you do that one, look me up.

Thanks for the feed back.
_________________
Paul K. Nolan, MD
AKA: The Bike Doc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group