TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lump under the skin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:07 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Lump under the skin Reply with quote

I fell riding Northshore about two weeks ago and bruised the inside of my leg, right below the knee, just above the calf. The bruising has gone away but I'm now left with a quarter size knot just underneath the skin. It's still painful to the touch.

Any idea of what it may be?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:00 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest:

The lump under your skin is likely a hematoma, a collection of blood that leaked from a ruptured blood vessel when you ate dirt. Hematomas initially are clotted and firm to feel then they usually start to liquify around 2 weeks after the injury and gradually the old blood is reabsorbed over another couple of weeks. Occasionally, a hematoma can calcify and become hard and persist for years. If the swelling becomes hot to touch, painful, red and/or develops increase swelling get an immediate medical evaluation as it may have become infected and will require medical management.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:18 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: