TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fractured elbow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
endo guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:07 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: fractured elbow Reply with quote

so i done me a real good endo while riding some rock gardens at idb state park in denton on saturday. x-rays showed a fractured radial joint. the doctor yesterday put me in a long cast and said he would take more x-rays in a week before putting me in another cast for 3 or 4 more weeks. he told me that with this injury one of the big concerns is cartlidge damage. are there ways to check cartlidge damage before the rehab proceedure starts? and i'm sure giving timelines are never a sure thing but i'm a very fit 35 year old guy and i'm signed up for the ouachita challenge the weekend of march 25th. any chance?
thanks
beentheredonethat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:12 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: elbow Reply with quote

I did the exact same thing at Emma Long 4 months ago, make sure you take the physical therapy serious, the scar tissue has locked my arm up at an angle and I have to wear a brace now for 90min a day trying to stretch it out.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:01 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

endo guy:

Tuck and roll... oops too late, bummer! Sad

The cartiledge issue will be hard to sort out until you come out of the cast. Progressive physical therapy is going to be key in your recovery. Follow your orthopedic doctors recommendations on rehabilitation and when to get back on the bike. You should be able to ride a recumbent trainer now to help preserve your fitness. Traumatic joint injuries increase the likelyhood of developing osteoarthritis later in life so this injury may have consequences later on. Far better ride your bike and live long enough to worry about osteoarthritis than to be a channel surfing couch potato and croak off in you mid-life from a heart attack.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: