TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is mountain biking considered weight bearing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
specializedT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:44 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Is mountain biking considered weight bearing? Reply with quote

From everything I've read, cycling is not considered to be weight bearing but mountain biking is different on the body than road riding. So, in relation to osteoporosis, could mountain biking be beneficial?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:06 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain biking is not full weight bearing activity but far more so than road biking. Some mountain bikers may have a higher rate of bone loss than athletes who compete in weight bearing sports such as running. Mountain bikers will loose bone mass less rapidly than road bikers but still at a rate that can make then prone to calcium loss in the bones. (There was a good article on this in Bicycling Magazine about a year ago.) All things are relative. Mountain biking and/or road biking are WAY better for the body than the weight lifting exercises consisting of raising the remote and walking to the fridge, (AKA: couch potato aerobics). So keep on pedaling. For the benefit of your bones, you should add weight bearing exercise such as weight lifting or running to you training/exercise regimen.

Thanks,

Last edited by The Bike Doc on Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:26 am GMT +0000; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:58 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I also run a few times a week, do daily push-ups/sit-ups and a yoga class once or twice a week. I had a hysterectomy six weeks ago and the doctor brought up the issue and didn't know how mountain biking fit into the puzzle (I'm his first avid mountain biker).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: