TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Varicose Vein

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:49 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Varicose Vein Reply with quote

Doc,

For a while (actually a looong while) I've had this lump in the arch of one of my feet. It's about 10-12mm and kinda feels fluid filled not solid. Some days it's puffed up, especially after riding, others not so much.

While getting an allergy med refill I asked the GP to look at it. He just looked down, said it was a blown blood vessel. He said it's a varicose vein just on the foot instead of leg. His comment was if it doesn't bother me to just leave it be. Good advice or seek a new doc?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:36 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chongo Loco:

Not being able to see and feel the lesion I cannot confirm nor refute the diagnosis. Vericose veins do develop in the lower legs and feet and they are not uncommon with aging. The filling and emptying of the lesion is consistent with a vericose vein. Mild vericose veins are often managed with support stockings to help compress the veins and keep them from over filling. (If you every see me riding the trails but have never met me, you will know it's me when I ride past with bike shorts matching black lycra knee high support stockings. Even ol' Bike Docs aren't immune to the effects of aging.) It could also be a gangionic cyst. If it is bothersome to you seek an evaluation by a podiatrist to help sort the two possible diagnoses out. Mild vericose veins you treat with support stockings only and ganglionic cysts sometimes require draining or surgical removal.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:02 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks doc, I was thinking it was ganglionic cysts because of all the nerve endings in the foot. That's why the vericose vein diagnosis threw me. I guess that is more consistent with the size/stiffness changes though. At least the wife will quit poking it and asking when I'm having a doctor look at it Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: