TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

immune boosters.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:52 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: immune boosters. Reply with quote

Hey Doc,

With all my sicklyness this past month I bought some of this stuff.

Does this stuff really work? I figure it couldn't hurt.

Here's a lil more info.
http://www.naturemade.com/ProductDatabase/prd_prod.asp?productid=179

thanks,
xl_cheese
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:30 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

xl_cheese:

The "active" ingredients of the product Trimune are:
100 mg of Vitamin C (167% of Daily Value)
2 mg of Zinc (13% of Daily Value)
130 mg Echinacea purpurea aerial parts extract
160 mg of Andrographis aerial parts extract (Andrographolide 16 mg)

In my seach of Natural Medicine Comprehensive Database and PubMed, there are some studies that show these ingredients seperately may shorten the duration of a cold by 10-30% if taken within the first 24-72 hours of cold onset. There is no data to support taking them long term. In fact there is data that shows taking echinacea long term can lower white blood cell count and make a person more susceptible to infection. (See following article http://www.jabfm.org/cgi/reprint/15/5/417 ) Taking zinc suppliments chronically could lead to zinc toxicity and copper deficiency. Long term zinc and anti-oxidant supplimentation such as Vitamin-C has been shown not to offer any protection against hardening of the arteries. (See following article http://atvb.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/24/8/1485 )

Bottom line of my recommendations: If you choose to take this or other "natural" suppliments to help fight infection do so only for brief courses (two weeks) when you are feeling like you are coming down with something. I cannot recommend long term daily supplimentation based on the data that has been published to date.

Thanks,
drummerboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:52 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fresh wheat grass,I have not had a cold since I started drinking it. While my entire family has been sick several times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: