TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

itchy bruises?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtdiva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:14 am GMT +0000    Post subject: itchy bruises? Reply with quote

I just got back from a long weekend riding in Arkansas and I'm pretty banged up. I have a couple of pretty bad bruises on my legs that itch sometimes? This has happened before but it usually only happens with the bruises that have knots under them. Is this common? Thanks for any input you've got.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:16 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtdiva:

The bruising you experience can be triggered the activation of specific products in the blood stream (platelet aggrivating factors) that help to clot the blood and stop the bleeding. These factors can trigger histamine release which lead to the local itching your experience. Is it common? You are the first person I have known to complain about it. Is it unusual? No, considering that the very substances that help your blood to clot can trigger histamine release. What can you do to help decrease the itching? Take a histamine 1 blocker drug such a diphenhyramine (Benadryl) or clemastine (Tavist) and a Histamine 2 blocker drug such as ranitidine (Zantac) to relieve the itching. The skin has a concentration of Histamine 1 and Histamine 2 receptors. The other part of the body that has Histamine 2 receptors is the stomach. That is why medicines that block Histamine 2 receptors decrease stomach acid production. A topical antihistamine is not likely to help as it will not get deep into the bruised tissue.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: