TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thyriod Nodules.......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:53 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Thyriod Nodules....... Reply with quote

Dear Bike Doc,

I am 46 years old, been riding for about 12 years off road. Riding is one of my true passions, so here goes. About a year and a half ago I was diagnosed with two Thyroid nodules. One nodule is a little over 1cm in size on my left lobe. The other is about 2 mm in size on my right lobe. I have had several Ultra-sounds on it and 2 biopsies on it while receiving treatment for a mild thyroid imbalance. Here is my question to you. My endocrinologist wants to remove the left lobe or the whole thyroid. I am worried that about this for 2 reasons. First is retaining any kind of normal endurance after the surgery while the doctors are trying to find the magic dose of Synthetic. The second and more troublesome concern is damage or removal of my Para-Thyroid glands. I understand the Para-Thyroid regulates blood calcium and in turn controls my heart rate as well as keep my bone from degenerating. Give me your take on this if you can.

Thanks,
ctc
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:45 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctc:

Your endocrinologist likely has concerns about the character of the nodule. Not having the data from your prior biopsies and thyroid functions, and not having the advantage of following you as your endocrinologist has, I am not in a position to speculate what the concerns are. I can tell you that the body has four prathyroid glands and can function quite well on just one parathyroid gland. Calcium levels can be sufficiently maintained by one gland. If the is serious concern to remove the on side of the thyrode gland the remaining two prathyroid glands on the oposite side should serve you well. Have a discussion with your endocrinologist and surgeon further about what your concerns are and what the endocriologist concerns are.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:39 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctc,

I had to have my Right Lobe removed 5 years ago because of a follicular lesion (benign tumor). The surgery was day surgery, My calcium levels were checked during post-op a couple of times & I was alowed to go home. I did have a "grenade syringe" attatched to the surgery site & had to measure any fluid that drained for the next 24 hours at home & was given instructions on what to look for if my calcium levels were getting out of wack. I went back in to the doctor's office the next morning & the drain was removed. What my doc explained to me was that as long as the parathyroids were not jostled around too much, then they should continue to function fine & not interfer with my calcium levels. My thyroid levels are checked on a regular basis & so far I've not had to use any supplementation. Your doctor needs to inform you of any risks involved with surgery so that you can make an informed decision. My rule of thumb is to not worry until you have something to worry about and to take things one step at a time. The hardest part about the surgery was trying not to pull on the drain when I was emptying it (because that smarted some) & having a resident involved with my surgery who needed to work on his bedside manner. I think I was restricted to light duty for 2 weeks. You had to know that I had surgery & look hard in order to see the scar. Just make sure your doc goes over what to expect; explain the procedure and what to expect afterward. Good Luck!

Denni

ps: if you have a drain attatched post-op, wear a shirt with a chest pocket (like a scrub top) to set the drain in so it won't pull on your neck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: