TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stomach problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRA Endo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:42 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Stomach problems Reply with quote

Doc,
I have been riding more on the road bike lately to get some good trainng miles in and am even hoping to do a few centuries this year. I have been noticing that on the longer rides (over 3 - 4 hours) I end up w/terrible bloating and gas, usually post ride, but have had it come up during the ride when we have gone over 5 - 6 hours. If I only ride 1 - 2 hours I don't seem to have aproblem.

Nothing seems to make it better. I have been using HammerGel and drinking appropriate amounts of water and then using Endurox for a post ride recovery drink. I have tried using other products for my fuel during the rides (Accelerade, e-Gel, PowerGel, etc.) and end up with the same problem. Any ideas what could be causing this, uh, uncomfortable reaction?

Sincerely,
Frightful Flatulence Shocked
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:51 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRA Enduro:

You may be simply overdoing it on the carbohydrate intake. The small intestins can digest about 100 grams of carbohydrate an hour. Beyond 100 grams an hour the excess gets dumped into the large intestins where it becomes fuel for fermentation via the resident bacteria. A by product of fermentation is gas. Hammer gel has 23 grams of carbohydrate per ounce. If you excede four ounces in an hour you may have problems with too much carbohydrate to digest.

Switching to drinking sport drinks in volume to replace the amount of sweat lost can also create a problem with too much carbohydrate per hour as well. Gatorade has 6% glucose concentration or 6 grams /100cc or 60 grams/liter, Poweraide has 8% glucose concentration or 80 grams per liter. Conditioned athletes can easily sweat up to 2 quarts an hour. Thus to drink 2 liters of regular strength Gatorade will yield a carbohydrate intake of 120 grams/hr, 2 liters of full strength PowerAide will yield 160 grams/hr. This will lead to the excess carbohydrate being dumped in the colon and gas will then result. I recommend for high sweat loosers to drink 3/4 strength Gatorade to for replacement fluid which will equal 90 grams of carbohyrate an hour which should be managed easily by the gut.

Disclaimer: I own no stock nor do I receive any financial benefits from Gatorade or any other sport energy company. I recommend Gatorade because it is readily available, is inexpensive, has many palatable flavors to choose from and comes in powder form for convenience. If someone has a favorite sport drink that works well and allows the individual to drink a sufficient quantities to match ongoing sweat losses without causing intestinal upset, go for it.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: