TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Medicine Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:51 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Medicine Question Reply with quote

Hello Doc,

I was recently prescribed Diovan, Hydrochlorothiazide and Lipitor. I also take a 81 mg. aspirin everyday. Are these going to effect my training in any way? Anything I should look out for during or after my rides?

Thanks, bmc350.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:33 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diovan Hydorchlorothiazide is a combination of an angiotensin receptor blocker valsartan that lowers blood pressure by blocking the effect of a hormone that constricts blood vessels and a diuretic that works by lowering blood pressure by increasing salt and water loss in the urine. Side effects from from the valsartan (reported %) may include cough (3%), dizziness (10%), low blood pressure (6%), fatigue (2%), abdominal pain (2%), elavated blood potasium (7%) muscle and joint aches (3%); hdrochlorothiazide lower blood levels of potasium, sodium and chloride as well as make you more prone to dehydration, it can make your skin more sensitive to sun burning and can lower your blood pressure. The Lipitor (atorvastatin) helps lower blood cholesterol. It can cause muscle aches (6%), joint aches (5%), skin rash (2%) and rarely muscle breakdown called rhabdomyolysis. The asprin acts as a mild blood thinner by inhibiting platelets so you are more prone to bruising and could bleed longer in the event you shed some skin while shredding the trails.

All medications have to be ballanced with risks versus benefits. Discuss with your physician your health risks and the benefits that your doctor hopes for you to attain with these medications. If the benefits outweigh the risks (likely in your case) then adjustments to your exercise regimen are in order. As you are more prone to dehydration and a drop in your blood pressure while on the Diovan, be sure to stay addequately hydrated while you work out. Use the scale weighing yourself in the same clothes before and after a workout. For every pound your weight is down immediately after a workout, you need to increase your fluid intake during the workout an additional 16 ounces over what you drank during the work out. Using a sport drink like Gatorade will help replace the lost sodium, potasium and chloride that you are at higher risk for loosing while on the medications.

If you ever get intense muscle pain do visit with your physician immediately. Though rhabdomyolysis is extremely rare, it is hearalded by intense muscle pain and often dark colored urine. This is extremely serious and needs immediate attention.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:18 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Dr. Nolan. I really appreciate it. I will definately start weighing before and after to make sure I'm hydrated and will pay attention to the muscle soreness. Currently muscle soreness is no different than ussual.

Thanks again...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: