TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Training advise for someone with MI history

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:31 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Training advise for someone with MI history Reply with quote

To start out, here is a brief medical history to help understand my concerns on training...

I am a 43 year old male. Current weight is 205 with a target weight of 180 lbs.

7/4/2000 MI - The Cardiologist told me that I must have stressed my heart while Mountain Biking that morning and it tore the lining of artery and then came the blood clot.

9/24/2005 Stent - Had chest pain and the typical MI symptoms went to Hospital and was scoped to find a 90 - 95% blockage.

Both problems are in the same general location which is near the upper part of the RCA just above the main branch and the second was just below the branch. My Cardiologist told me that I don't have any other areas of plaque build up after the last stent was placed. He also has given me his blessing on ride my mountain bike.

Prior to my MI I liked to ride Mountain Bikes for fun, but never rode competitively, but now I would like to see if I can. My brother and some good friends race and they all would like to see me get back into Mountain Biking for health reasons at a minimum.

As of Jan. 25th this year I started a Heart Healthy Diet and I exercise 5 days a week. Every week I ride my bike 4 -5 time and I also lift weights 3 days a week (curcuit training). I have just started jogging a couple of time a week, which is pretty much half walking/jogging for right now... Since then I have lost 35 lbs (240 lbs was my starting weight) and have seen a good bit of improvement in my overall fitness.

My question is regarding my training program and where to go from here. All of my rides up to now have been completed in Zone II except for an occational Zone III ride now and then. The main goal was to build a solid base to start training. My average ride is around 1.5 hours with one long ride of 2.5 hours per week. I started out averaging 75 mile per week and now I am up to 120 miles per week. Based on what I have been reading, I think that it is time for me to start putting in some interval work once a week. What do you think? I am trying to be very smart about my training and I want to make sure that I am doing everything possible to maximize potential.

Your input is much appreciated...

cahard
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:07 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

cahard:

I commend you in the efforts and gains (or losses so to speak) you have made thus far. Truely the best one to answer this question is your cardiologist. It would be worthwhile doing a bicycle ergonometry cardiac stress test with close monitoring to see what your safe limits are. You may be doing well at the lower levels of intensity but pushing it to the next level up may require a close evaluation under controlled conditions to find out how hard and far you can safely go. Certainly training with a heart rate monitor and a couple of buddies who are paramedics would be worth while... Best visit with you cardiologist on this one.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:32 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input... I will check with my Cardiologist to see if he can give me some guidance for training... I guess more importantly, what he feels that my heart is capable of doing... Hopefully he can order the bicycle ergonometry cardiac stress test for me and that should tell us a good bit...

I am just hoping that by getting back into Mountain Biking and training to compete in some events, my risk of heart problems will be greatly reduced... I know that I won't be able to or should not push my heart to it's limits, but I hope that by being serious about a proper training program I can develop my fitness fit so that I can go fast enough at 80% of my max HR to be able ride with my friends and brother... The thought of racing is just there as a goal, to keep me focused on training the right way and just not going out there and hammering with friends...

Again, thanks for your help...

cahard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: