TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acne as an old fart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennibw
New

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:35 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Acne as an old fart Reply with quote

HI Doc

Despite being very conciencious about cleaning my face, etc. after riding, I keep having a problem with facial acne (nose & chin groove). I've tried alternating salicylic acid & benzol peroxide of varying strengths. I will also break out on my chest cleavage & cortizone spray will help this after a couple of days (didn't know if they could both be related). I will apply Bactoban to my inner nostrils once daily for 3 days q4-6 weeks & I think that this helps at the week that it is applied. I'm 36 & I do sweat a lot when I ride. I always take some kind of pre-packaged wipes to wipe down with afterward & then shower once I get home & I do apply moisterizer to both face & body. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:29 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennibw:

If you were told during puberty that you would never out grow acne, you never would have made it thus far. It is a medical secret that we physicians have with held from the time of Hippocrates for the salvation of mankind, but now the secret has been revealed and many an anguished adolescent will read this post and cringe... However, there is hope.

You are doing things right with your hygiene. Visit with your doctor about using an alternate antibacterial facial cleanser such as clindamycin/benzol peroxide combination (BenzaClin®) to help clear up the acne. Additionally, I have found using a heavy cream can help tremendously in reducing the acne. Twice a day application of a heavy facial cream such as Nivea™, can help reduce the irritation of the skin (especially from shaving) and reduce the occurrence of acne. I use to get acne where I shaved my face and neck. I gave up shaving those areas and went Grizzly Adams style. In my profession though, a wooly mammoth face does not mix with going into the operating room so I had to resume shaving. I started the Nivea™ to the face twice daily (especially right after shaving) and the shaving induced acne ceased to occur. If I get lazy and forget to do the Nivea™ trick, the acne rears its ugly head again (so to speak).

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: