TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

riding after hand/tendon laceration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:25 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: riding after hand/tendon laceration Reply with quote

so..
a bit over two weeks ago I got wacked by a chainsaw and cut through the EPL tendon on my left hand (behind my thumb on top) and surgically repaired 2 weeks ago..

healing well, started therapy yesterday
she says maybe 2 months before mountain biking!
arg
surgeon told me 4-6 weeks post surgery

I am following advise, keeping in splint, doing the prescribed therapy, keeping elevated when possible, ice, ibuprofen..

minimal pain...
tolerable

I have done a few short road rides the last few days, trying to avoid jarring.. and it hasn't bothered me

I don't want to risk having the tendon sutures breaking and having to start all over...

but, I am used to riding 3-4 times a week, almost always on dirt
the road bike will at least keep me somewhat placated and moving, but I want to RIDE!

so.. I know that docs have to be conservative when giving out time frames for healing and recovery and resuming normal activities..

what I have found is that most of "us" get back on the bike faster than what the docs predicted...

so... what's your take?

thanks
Charles
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:07 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles:

Listen to your doctor. Many a tendon repair has been ruptured by pushing too soon. Get the trainer out, get some good videos and hammer.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:05 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks

but what if I promise to only ride really smooth places and not to take any sweet jumps ? Smile
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:31 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only in your dreams until the doctor says otherwise. Crying or Very sad

Thanks,
mtc
100+

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:39 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a super upright stem/HB combo, giant front tire at super low pressure, and 6" travel fork set up real soft! Then ride one handed.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:49 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am following dr's orders
thanks Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: