TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Melatonin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strohls freely
100+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:46 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Melatonin Reply with quote

As a sleep aid, I take a 3mg. tablet nightly.
Are there any ill effects, or damage associated with continued usage of Melatonin?
Thanks.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:00 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main ill effects to worry about are the adulterations that can occur in melatonin. One study showed up to 30% of melatonin products were adulterated with sedative substances such as phenobarbitol, an addicting barbituate that if stopped being taken suddenly, can lead to withdrawal seizures and severe hypertension possibly leading to strokes. Stick with reputable name brands bought from reputable drug stores. Be cautious of any that you buy over the internet or off brands that may be sold at alternative therapy stores. Additionally, melatonin suppliments should not be routinely given to children under 20 years of age (for all you minors out there reading this posting) "Melatonin supplementation might adversely affect children. Young people up to the age of 20 years produce melatonin endogenously in high levels. Melatonin levels are inversely related to gonadal development. Theoretically, exogenously administered melatonin might adversely affect gonadal development; use with caution." Source: Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database

Thanks,
strohls freely
100+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:16 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is the main ill effect, I quit.
Do not even desire to know the minor ill effects.
If sleep decreases with age then I'm okay to sleep less.
Thank you Doctor. Always appreciated.

-Scott
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:50 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find a direct correlation between riding and sleep as you get older. I also find a direct correlation between riding and soreness as you get older. As you get older, there seems to be a dramatic reduction in soreness after riding if you spend time in a hot bath. The 'getting older' part seems to be the only constant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: