TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

general wound care

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:30 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: general wound care Reply with quote

there is a discussiong going on over at TXBRA regarding road rash. A number of people have said hydogen peroxide and neosporin are both bad. Of course, that's all I've ever used. So, next time I eat it on my bike and I draw blood, whats some good rule of thumb guidance for cleaning it up and letting it heal?
dennibw
New

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:10 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

My professors in school would say that the only thing hydrogen peroxide is good for is getting blood stains out of your clothes. My personal topical treatment of choice is to flush/clean the wound with plain saline (I keep a bottle for cleaning contacts in my first aid kit for this) and applying Silvadine Cream to the wound (need a prescription).

ps: to help with scaring, my docs had me apply vit.E cream up to 4 times daily & apply sunblock that has Zinc in it as well. You have to look hard to see my surgical scars.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:04 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

stackout:

What I recommend is lan initial iberal water irrigation. I keep a plain water bottle for such occassions when I ride. When home a good scrubbing with water, soap and patting dry. I then cover the wound with a heavy salve called Corona Ointment. This can be procured through farm and ranch supply stores. I then cover the wound with a guaze pad and wrap with a gauze or elastic wrap. Twice daily the wound should be cleansed and the ointment and dressing reapplied.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: