TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Odd Knee Pain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:42 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Odd Knee Pain Reply with quote

Hey Doc,
Thanks for being here for us.
I have had patellar tendonitis for years in my right knee. Consequently, I am always spinning to protect it. In the course of easy riding the other day I experienced pain that seemed to come from under the knee cap (the center of my knee). The pain comes with the down stroke. I tried to recreate the pain this morning on the steps and the odd thing is that it hurt more when I take the pressure off the knee. In other words, it hurts pressing down, but it hurts even more as I begin to lift my foot from the ground.

What do you think?
Thanks again,

Will
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:31 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willie Gough:

You may be experiencing Patellofemoral syndrome (previously called chondromalacia). Have your saddle hight and positioned checked. You may benefit from your saddle being raised and/or pushed back slightly. Definitely stay with the high cadence spin and avoid mashing gears as you are doing. Look at your crank arm length. You will likely benefit going to a 170 or even a 165 mm crank length. Most mountain bikes that are medium to large frame come standard with 175mm cranks. The shorter cranks will allow you to spin at higher RPMs more easily and decrease the degree of bending of the knee at top dead center of the crank revolution. Shorter cranks will necescitate your raising your seat due to the foot being in a higher position at bottom dead center of the crank stroke. You would likely benefit from a Physical Therapy evaluation and treatment to help further identify the underlying cause of the problem and then to develop a treatment regimen that may include strengthening exercises for specific muscle groups, taping of an unstable patella, stretching excercises and massage therapy.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:38 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Nolan

Thank you so much!
As is turns out, I am riding a new bike and have yet to be fitted. I will do that straight away. Thanks again for being here for us...a true ministry of hope.

WG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: