TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

curious...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j-rocket
New

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:23 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: curious... Reply with quote

I have long wondered about why our backs ache after riding longer distances, more technically challenging trails, or periods spent off the bike. Is it because our bodies change with age regardless of our fitness level, or do we just get "lazy" (for lack of a better term) and want something to take the edge off and do the work for us. Isn't it possible to stay fit and strong enough to handle the rigors of riding a hard-tail? As technology evolves and more suspension options are available, the hard-tail bike with larger volume, tubeless tires looks more and more appealing with it's simplicity.

Just curious...
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:34 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-rocket you ask why?

JBWOF: Just because we're old farts! Next question... Laughing

The body becomes less limber with age, Arthor Itis often moves in uninvited, taking up residence in joints that have been injured and abused when we were younger and immortal. Unfortunately, youth and immortality do not last forever. Daily stretching and adjusting bike fit to match the aging dictated adjustments, such as short stem, shorter top tubes for a more upright position comes in order. Keeping muscle tone, including abdominal back muscles with regular exercise can help. In the meantime, keep riding your bike to stay off old man time for as long as possible. No since in clocking out before your time is up. For my aging body, you will have to pry my cold, dead hands off my full cush rig. Though, I must say before I ever went to suspension, I rode fully rigid rig with 2.5 inch tires and floated over loose stuff; so I won't discount your KISS approach, it does have merrits.

Thanks,
j-rocket
New

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:27 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, i was just curious. no particular reason.

glad you're back, doc!
JustinLee
New

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:14 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that the back plays a HUGE muscular role in cycling. As your legs push the pedals down, your back and abs hold the rest of your body in place - it's a big job. Next time out, put a hand on your lower back while you pedal and you'll feel what I mean; the harder you pedal, the harder your back works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: