TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My toe is asleep

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cburke

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:25 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: My toe is asleep Reply with quote

Seriously.

After riding all night in the rain at the 24RHR, about half of the front joint of my second (biggest) toe is numb. My shoes were very wet during the race and I ended up putting on a second pair of socks to make up for some of the extra room in there, but for the first half of the race, my toes were mashing the inside ends of my shoes. But, the odd thing is, I don't have any blackened toenails.

Should I be concerned? Am I going to develop gangrene and lose my left leg? Or does this sound temporary, and should I take the opportunity to get a tiny little tattoo?

Thanks.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:30 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris:

As you do not describe any toe discoloration or skin sloughing, it is unlikely you have experienced a vascular injury that will lead to gangrene. I suspect you have suffered nerve compression from the tight fitting shoes with the extra socks on. The digital nerves run between your to foot bones, the metatarsals. If you have prolonged comgression of these such as due to tight shoes, you can experience prolonged numbness. How long will depend on the seriousness of the compression injury. If you are still numb now, I suspect you had significant nerve injury and it may take several months for the feeling to return. Be grateful it is not a case of peroneal nerve compression from being in the saddle too long Wink !

Thanks,

Last edited by The Bike Doc on Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:02 am GMT +0000; edited 1 time in total
cburke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:50 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: