TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heart Surgery (I think) >>Racing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jhowell
New

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:36 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Heart Surgery (I think) >>Racing Reply with quote

I had an ablation a couple of weeks ago (that qualifies as surgery doesn't it? albeit outpatient surgery). For a supraventricular tachycardia.

The doctor perscribed Beta Blockers and "take it easy for about 3 months". My beautiful bride (who was present) heard that and concluded that it should be zone 2 road miles all spring. I'm thinking pass on Mas-o-Menos, pre-ride Tapatio, and then race casually this spring. Also miles and miles of base through the spring and summer.

What do you think Doc??
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:05 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jhowell:

Good to hear from you my old friend. Stick with the cardiologist's recommendations. Time for a tandum for your lovely bride and you to do some lesurely rides together. The benefit of the tandem, you will slow down and she will speed up and you can both keep happy conversation together. To get more specific information on how hard and long you should go on a ride, talk with your cardiologist about doing a stress exercise test on a bicycle ergometer. This will allow the cardiologist to monitor your heart response and look for any problems in a well controlled environment. You may find being on the beta blocker that your max heart rate will come down and the level of percieved exertion will also come down, in other words, you will feel winded and tired sooner than you use to. Unless of course the supraventricular tachycardia was holding you back even more, then you may find your endurance and perceived exertion improve. Do visit with your cardiologist.

I hope to see you in Warda in April. BTW email me, I would like to visit with you off the forum paul dot nolan at ttuhsc dot edu .

Thanks,
Jhowell
New

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:52 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding before and after heartrates & preceived exertion: I've done a couple of rides since then & had mixed results. With warmer weather this weekend, I'll have an opportunity to do more testing.

Maybe the cold weather is good because it's kept me indoors and out of trouble for the past few weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: