TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

prostate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scoracer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:01 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: prostate Reply with quote

Hey Doc! Or should I say Help Doc! I'm having problems of having to go all the time and a little burning when I urinate,uroligest said it would get better if i stop cycling!!! NOOOOOooooo! I have allready cut back,but im also a spinning instructor so I stand for most of the classes,but im not sold on the idea that cycling is the promblem. I'm 41 yr's old and I also play drums for a living so I sit alot doing that and latley I try to stand more while playing, and I will be getting a full susp. bike as soon as I get the cach together. I had an ifection of the prostate or may still have it after the antibiotics did not take care of it,they seemed to help a little but after 1000$ in meds and doctor visits I tried changing my diet that seemed to help more than anything. I still have a strong sex drive but things down below just dont feel right and all the trips to the bathroom get's to be a drag .The urologist I saw said he see's cyclist all the time. Well......do you have any insight on this matter? and i'm going to try the supplement route of saw palemtto and the other recomended supplements. I find even guy's who are having the same kind of problems are reluctant to talk on the matter.I myself are over that, I want to learn to try to help the problem.DOES CYCLING AGGRIVATE THE PROSTATE? SORRY FOR THE RANT AND THANK YOU!
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:46 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoracer:

The inflamation of the prostate, prostatitis, can be aggrivated by the classic cycling seat and sitting position on the standard frame bicycle. Mountain biking may be less of an offender than road biking due to the frequent position changing that occurs while riding off road on a mountain bike, however, with active prostatitis, it still may be an aggrivating factor. Take a mounth off the bike, do some cross training such as weight lifting or running. As an alternative, pull your seat and seatpost off your bike. Ride seatless for a month. You will build some awesome climbing and sprinting muscles that way.

When you get back on the bike look at some different saddles such as Specialized Body Geometry that have a relieved area down the center of the saddle. If you cannot spring for a full sprung bike, look at getting a suspension seatpost, the best one out there is the Cane Creek Thudd Buster which gives you about 3 inches of tush cush suspension. Go with FAT tires, 2.3 to 2.5 inches, on your MTB bike with lower pressure32- 35lbs, to also give you more passive suspension. Road Bikes, goe seatless or give it up until you can afford a recumbent, no pressure on the prostate with the recumbent position. Check out www.bentrideronline.com for some recumbent bike anthology. Recumbents are lousy off road except for well groomed railtrails so keep your mountain bike.

Thanks,
scoracer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:31 am GMT +0000    Post subject: prostate Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply,your advice is just what I have been thinking. I cant imangine not mt biking, I really hope I can heal myself of this... im trying not to overeact I,ve stopped racing for now, and I dont ride very much compared to what I was doing and I will get a F.S bike in about a month. Also I have been looking really hard at saddles I got a gel flow with the cut out but the cut out is small im not sure it's going to help much ,so I may try the terry liberator if anyone else is dealing with this issue go to ABS sports .com and check out the saddle they have it looks odd but It may really help....the only catch is spending the money to try differnt saddles. I love riding so much! I really hope I can deal with this! Thank you so much for your reply! Scott Randall
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:17 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Prostate Reply with quote

Doc,
Read an earlier post from 2004 that answered a lot of questions I had about my recent diagnosis of prostatitis. I am almost done with antibiotics and a month off the bike and feeling better.
The doc I have is a roadie cyclist and pretty supportive (in fact is looking forward to riding on the trails with me when I am better), but I have more questions that I hope you can help with.
1) Will this condition reoccur after it is cleared up? Will I be able to ride/race like I used to without aggravating it?
2) Does saw palmetto actually do any good? What about topical versions of it?
3) I like to ride on the roads to train but know I can't ride my road bike anymore. Can I ride my full suspension mtn bike on the road instead?
4) Also, I am a truck driver, should I look for another job? The seat I have is comfortable and I sit for 2-3 hours at a time.
Thanks,
Jim
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:42 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim:

In answer to your questions in sequence:

1. The prostatitis may recur. Off road riding will be less of an aggravator due to your frequent getting out of the saddle and position changes on the the bike. Long road bike rides can be an issue if you do not change positions frequently, unless you switch to a recumbent road bike.

2. Saw palmento may help benign prostatic hypertrophy. It has been shown to help with chronically enlarged prostates that are not cancerous. However, it has not been shown to be helpful in chronic non-bacterial prostatitis.

3. You may still be able to ride your road bike. Look at a different saddle such as I mentioned in the original post response. Change your position frequently. Your full suspension mountain bike may not be the best option. When you ride off road the changing terrain and technical sections force you to change position on your seat and to stand frequently. On the road, you will not have such demands and will tend to sit down more and may aggravate your prostate. The best solution truely is a recumbent road bike. I gave up my conventional road bike in 1995 and have never looked back. You can still rack up lots of road miles and build your endurance without pressure on your prostate riding a recumbent. There are several wicked fast models. The 12 and 24 distance records on non-fared bikes is held by recumbents (fared 12 & 24 hour records are also held by recumbents.)

4. Keep on trucking! The wide seat you sit on and the position you sit in on your truck seast is unlikely putting undue pressure on your prostate.

Do not hesitate to discuss these issues as you have with your doctor further.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: