TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Almost checked in hospital. Possible over hydration?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:56 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Almost checked in hospital. Possible over hydration? Reply with quote

After the Storm Hill Race I got very sick and couldn't keep any liquids down. I almost checked in to a hospital not knowing if it was heart related. I think it was over hydration and under nutrition but wanted some thoughts other than "what an idiot"? Is it possible this was over exertion related? Possibly the water from the registration faucet, or water poising?

Brief recap:
didn't eat breakfast
drank bottle of gatorade
raced sport - didn't drink anything racing
Rode very hard (avg HR was 182 with 10 HR max points)
After race filled water bottle from faucet at registration - supposedly clean water accordig to staff.
drank gatorade
probably a 1/2 + gallan water
Can of diet spriet
Can of diet lemonade
had PB&J
Got sick couldn't drink
Drunk like symtons (dizzy, head ache, vomitting)
Didn't urinate until after 5 hours after race and continued to urinate steadily even though I stopped drinking anything until next morning.

[/b]
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:10 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

tklgw:

One you got youself seriously dehydrated racing. Two you likely replace you lost fluid with inappropirate fluid. The 1/2 plus gallon of water likely diluted your serum sodium, potasium and chloride (blood salts) which were likely depleted from your racing effort. Train yourself to drink while you race and work out. See several of my prior posts on the subject s of dehydration, leg cramps and other related topics. If you have any worsening symptoms do get an immediated medical evaluation. Remember, we learn from our mistakes so that means I am catching up with Einstein and hopefully you will pass him by soon. Wink

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: