TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broken Leg?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoachJoe
100+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:09 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Broken Leg? Reply with quote

Ok Doc . . . confession time. I crashed hard in Waco and wound up with some severe leg bruising on the lateral and posterior side of my calf. I experienced immediate edema local to the injury and had moderate pain--but not enough to make me quit the race, or quit any activities after that.

I was anxious to continue exercising and pushed it pretty hard the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday following the race, but continued to have episodes of swelling after each workout. Again, just nagging pain, but not severe.

Well, a week later it has not resolved and an ortho friend of mine looked at it--he was shocked and told me to get an immediate x-ray and get into a stabilization boot etc. The thought is that I may have broken my fibula . . .

Now I know that I am not a BAd-a$$ and my pain tolerance is rather average--but I thought bone breakage would hurt more! I was also under the impression that I could not walk around, let alone continue to work out etc. My wife just shakes her head in disbelief . . .

I don't know if I am asking for comment, advice, or just sharing my story for anyone else who may be walking around with broken bones and are just too stubborn to access the medical community . . .

CJ
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:11 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoachJoe:

Yes, you can walk around on a broken bone. If an orthopedic surgeon was impressed enough to recommend an X-ray, get an X-ray of the injurred leg (though your wife likelys wants one of your head) Wink and follow-up with the orthopedic doctor

Thanks.

Last edited by The Bike Doc on Tue May 01, 2007 3:55 pm GMT +0000; edited 1 time in total
Scott S
TMBRA Board Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:13 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, when I had my injury in 2004, my tibia was broken near the base of the ankle, the fibula at the ankle and below the knee. The surgery and recovery was all based on getting the tibia healed, the doctor said the fibula would heal on its own. My understanding is that it is not the main weight bearing bone thus the reason you could still function albeit with some pain. On the other hand, I have heard of fibula only breaks that can cause lots of grief so get that thing treated okay man!

Rocky Hill and Warda Race Director; TMBRA President
CoachJoe
100+

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:37 am GMT +0000    Post subject: follow up Reply with quote

well, x-rays did not reveal a break!

Relief for that--only now I have to deal with the really severe tissue damage. Slow to heal, but I will make it.

Thanks for the input folks and I will see you out there (just not for Double Lake!).

CJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: