TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Performance impact of antibiotics?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustinLee
New

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:20 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Performance impact of antibiotics? Reply with quote

I went to the Dr. feeling yesterday because of a sinus infection I suffered with starting Thursday. Actually, by the time I got there the proliferation of green-yellow snot is 500% better. In fact, I feel completely well and no more yellow snot.

The Dr. prescribed an antibiotic (starts with a Z and there are only 5 doses??) and a decongestant.

My question is this: Do I risk decreased performance at XBar the 21st by taking the antibiotic (I haven't taken any yet)? Or is it possible the infection is still weighing me down even though I’m not seeing the yucky snot?

Thanks DOC!
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:04 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinLee:

The current recommendations regarding treating a sinus infection hinge on data from clinical studies. 80% of sinus infections are due to viruses and do not require antibiotics. The sinus and nasal congestion and drainage resolves withing two weeks most of the time and do not require antibiotic therapy. The recommendations are to do expectant watching for two weeks when there are no signs of complications with the infection. If symptoms persist more than two weeks or there are any complications going on such as severe headache, spreading redness and swelling to the eyes or face over the sinuses, then medical evaluation and antibiotics are in order. Not having seen you I cannot recommend which way you should go in regards to taking the antibiotics or not. Discuss with your doctor your current symptoms, the improvement you have noted before having taken the antibiotics and together you both can make an informed decission which way to go.

There is good published data showing warm saline nasal irrigation is effective at speeding symtom relief. The recipe I use with my patients is 1/2 tsp plain table salt to 2 cups warm water and irrigate each nostril with a one cup of the solution twice a day. Blow the mucous and salt water out into the sink (bicycle rider style, block one nostril closed by pressing on it with a finger and honk into the sink). The gently blow the nose dry with tissue. It sounds gross but believe me it works. An allergist recommended this to me 23 years ago and I still practice it today.

In regards to the antibiotics hurting your performance, unless you have a side effect like nausea, vomiting or diarrhea, they should not. Will they help your performance? Only if the sinus infection is bacterial and the bacteria are sensitive to the antibiotic.

Thanks,
JustinLee
New

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:07 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly the info I was looking for, Doc!! Thank you so much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: